rajung

Mar 17, 2015
Cedar Falls, Iowa
Yes I hate winter and am already thinking about it.
This whole moving clock ahead and back stuff I think is nuts.
I always thought it was about school kids safety and farmers out in the fields.
I just did a search, yes, I am bored, about why we still do it other than most of Arizona and Hawaii ?
Seems to me its all about money " TV viewership and business sales" and does not save energy , or at least that much.
Now I see Florida is leaning toward dropping it.
Here in the Mid West if you work early, nothing worse than going to work in the dark and returning in the dark.
I don't think my A/C unit and furnace care what time of day it is.

Every year we hear scuttlebutt about ending DST. It never happens. I wish it would it is archaic. State by state should just start doing it like AZ and once critical mass is reached it'll be gone everywhere.

It depends on where you live. In the middle of a time zone it's not much difference, but it would get dark too early on the east coast without DST.

I'm very happy that Arizona does not cut 12" off the top of our blanket, sew it on the bottom and then claim we have a bigger blanket. :)

I grew up in Indiana back when they did not observe DST and then moved to AZ where they also don't have DST. I've never had to deal with it (except to try to remember what time it is in other parts of the US when I'm making phone calls).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't understand how it can be different times in different states. It seems to me that it should be the same time everywhere.

Maybe it's a relativistic effect due to moving at different speeds or different gravitational potentials.

Perhaps if we can eliminate the tilt of the Earth's axis, we can correct the anomaly.

I don't understand how it can be different times in different states. It seems to me that it should be the same time everywhere.

Maybe it's a relativistic effect due to moving at different speeds or different gravitational potentials.

Perhaps if we can eliminate the tilt of the Earth's axis, we can correct the anomaly.

It would get dark at 2:30 in the afternoon in California during the winter if we were all on the same time. Or daylight on the east coast at 2:30am during the summer.

It would get dark at 2:30 in the afternoon in California during the winter if we were all on the same time. Or daylight on the east coast at 2:30am during the summer.

In China which is roughly the width of the US, they have one local time zone, Beijing Time. Mao Zedong decided that was the way to do it.

It works fine for me having DST in MD. Summer sun sets at 8:36 pm - that's a nice time (7:36 would be tough for me - too early to do much outside after work). Winter the sun rises at 7:23 am. I've had young kids so I understand what that means and it wasn't a big deal for us, but I just love the later light in summer here.

I don't see it going away in reality except in specific locations.

A "day" is based on a 24 hour period usually starting at midnight. Midnight is not really a "concept" but instead relies on the position of a particular point on the Earth relative to the Sun. So it makes no sense for there to be no time zones. This is the same thing as saying seasons should also be universal. It just doesn't work.

I am pretty sure JamesW is on the right track. We simply straighten out the Earth's tilt and all is well. Who needs Summer and Winter, anyway?

Near this time of year, I start thinking about the crazy aspect of changing all my clocks and timers back one hour, for what 4 months?
I had so many timers it was crazy so I switched most if not all out for WiFi smart switches, saves tons of time. Not sure about anyone else, but the theory of getting another hours sleep is not so for me, I just end up getting up an hour earlier than before , never could adjust myself as easily as forward one hour.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.