Jacksonville, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
:( So we did a NO-NO and placed our pool light under a sheer descent which faces towards the house. I am considering an LED light for my pool. I have a 300w pentair # 78928500 and the pool light faces the house. The glare is bothersome so I am hoping that replacement with an LED would have less glare. I have a lens cover on it and a dimmer switch however I am still not happy with it. Please I would like all who have Intellibrite lights to send me pics so that I can see if the glare is cut down. These pics must be looking directly at the light . My email is [email protected]. I hope that I have explained properly. Any suggestions short of installing another light on the opposite side would be appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to look into my inquiry. :-D

Hi Brent,

I don't have this information handy, but you might want to determine exactly how bright the installed 300 watt bulb is in your pool, then check out Intellibrite and other options you're considering, including installation of a lower wattage lamp of the same type currently in use. The lights and/or bulbs should have published data associated with them that describe a.) color temperature (in kelvins) and b.) lumens. You'll want a bulb that produces less of the latter! Check out the links below for more info.

Greg

http://www.buylighting.com/Swimming-Poo ... -s/218.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

Yes, I see what you mean. I seem to recall that your pool is only about 10' wide at this point, right? So we're looking at the light from only that distance... I think that explains the glare. It probably even bounces off the other side to create more glare. Still not sure why using the dimmer doesn't greatly improve the situation -- but it then may not provide enough light for other parts of the pool. I would reduce the wattage of the bulb, then consider environment lightage in your "bird cage" to make up the difference.

Brentr said:
Gregg this is a pic of my light and notice the glare

You can see very well the excellent dispersion from my pics of LED in my link above as compared to the pic of your incandescent light. The incandsecent has blare/glare yet doesn't spread the light well much away from the light fixture. That's a major thing I was raving about in my posts.

gg=alice

Alice I still cannot see your pic. Believe me I would like to replace it with a color splash because this would be the easiest and the least expensive however can you send a pic to my email at [email protected]
Thanks in advance :-D

Greg do you think by going with an LED that has different colors might reduce the glare. The pic you see has some duct tape on the upper half of the blue lens cover.

Brentr said:
Greg do you think by going with an LED that has different colors might reduce the glare. The pic you see has some duct tape on the upper half of the blue lens cover.
Maybe... I have Hayward Colorlogic, promoted as programmable (it's not)* but it does enable me to switch thru various pre-set programs and many of those programs produce subtle shades of color that are evidently less luminous. White, blue and green seem to give off the most light. Red, lavendar and a few of the other modes ("sunset" e.g.) are much dimmer. Intellibrite may have similar capability, but research this first. If so, this might solve your problem. You can't employ a dimmer with the Hayward LED light.*

• EDIT * Lights can be programmed and brightness adjusted on the PS-8 when an AQL-COLOR-MODHV controller board is added to the system. END EDIT

Edited by Greg 10/24/2009 10:38 AM PDT

Here are 4 pics of the pool at night with the lights on shooting at different angles (the last one is the same as the third one but with a shorter exposure time). My camera is not great for such night shots.

PoolNight1
PoolNight2
PoolNight3
PoolNight4

Richard

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. If it wasn't for the windy day when I took this daytime picture the pool would look even clearer. In person, the floor drains are very sharp and visible even at a distance and angle and the pool is 6 feet deep. This is with a cartridge filter, not even DE. The pool cover helps keep most junk out of the pool and that surely helps, but proper water chemistry is really the most important -- but y'all knew that already. These photos are from this year so after adding 50 ppm Borates which gives an extra sparkle to the pool.

chem geek said:
If it wasn't for the windy day when I took this daytime picture the pool would look even clearer. In person, the floor drains are very sharp and visible even at a distance and angle and the pool is 6 feet deep.
Show off! :)

Did you design this pool? I noticed what I thought was an interesting element -- the ramp. Was this installed so you wouldn't have to traverse steps while exiting the pool? When my mother visits she has a hard time negotiating the 3 steep stairs I have in my 4' shallow end. In twenty years (or less) I'm going to wish I had that ramp!

Yes, we had the pool built and had the ramp explicitly designed into it (we used Janssen Pools and they were excellent). There are also metal bars (you can see those in some of the night photos). These elements are for my wife who had polio as a child with one leg affected so needs a smoother ramp entry instead of stairs. The bars are for exercise. We keep the pool warm (usually around 88F) as she uses it for a therapy pool, exercising almost every day (in the winter she uses a local indoor community center pool). Fortunately, I prefer the warmer water as well.

Brentr said:
Alice I still cannot see your pic. Believe me I would like to replace it with a color splash because this would be the easiest and the least expensive however can you send a pic to my email at [email protected]

Brentr, I sent you some pic to your posted email address.

Brentr said:

I'll answer that too. Definitely! :!: :!: :!: With the ColorSplash you can choose just about any color which also affects brightness level. The instructions tell you how to do this. Basically you get it into one of the color changing modes (any changes you want to make are controlled by how many seconds you go between switching off then on again) then when you get the exact color and/or brightness, you switch the light off for 2-4 seconds, then switch back on and it will stay that color. After the light is turned off for the night the next time it is turned back on it will stay on the color/brightness you had it on the night before. There are blends of colors so you can get just about any color and or brightness you want. For instance, the blue changes in brightness depending on how much white is blended with it. There is a very nice violet color that, I think, combines the blue and red between full color changes. The LEDs, when changing between colors, can change abruptly from one color to next or do a gradual color blend between colors, depending on what color mode you put it in to.

Again, and I'll say it in another way, you will be shocked at the lack or blare/glare with the LED light bulb.

Okay, I had to take off the blue lens cover because the duct tape I had covering the top half of the lens was falling off. I thought I would post a pic and you can see that the glare is very strong. The second pic is taken from inside our screened room and the glare is very strong. All pics were taken with the flash off. I am still trying to decide what to do :(

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you for your direction and support[attachment=1:1ms8ri67]DSCN9046 copy.JPG[/attachment:1ms8ri67]

Attachments

• DSCN9046 copy.JPG
    DSCN9046 copy.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 485
  • DSCN9054 copy.JPG
    DSCN9054 copy.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 480
Thanks to all for your input, Pollyvue, geekgranny and chem geek. I bought an intellibrite from ebay. I could not resist as the price was very very irrestible and very very right. Got it on friday and installed it yesterday. It is better than sliced bread :whoot: The colors and light shows are awesome and rich. How stupid I was not to have done this during my pool build. Everyone ]who has a pool needs to have some sort LED in their pool. It definately enhances and invites night time entertaining. I was very surprised to see no glare with the sheer descent on and very little glare with it off. I am going to add a second light switch placed in the screened room and I am going to look into upgrading to the Intellibrite light switch controller.

Okay this pic is with the intellibrite in the blue mode. The comparative pic is the first pic in this thread. I am hoping that you can appreciate less glare and the color is richer and deeper. I guess what I am trying to say is that the light is softer on my eyes. In other words when I look at the pool my eyes do not automatically look at the light as compared to when I had the incandecent light. I hope this helps and that you understand what I am trying to convey.[attachment=0:235lifbs]Copy of DSCN9127.JPG[/attachment:235lifbs]

Attachments

• Copy of DSCN9127.JPG
    Copy of DSCN9127.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 486
geekgranny said:
no-mas said:
Brentr, I've always wanted to post this emoticon:

:nopic:

Please don't neglect to post pics with your new intellibrite.
Thanks!

Ditto...... So glad you are pleased.

:jocolor: Alice, I'm easily amused! :jocolor:

Brentr, It looks great. I totaly understand what you are after; the glare on your other photos looks pretty bad. How do you like the other colors and the light shows?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.