Any Heat pump users in the North East?

Hi Whix,
im I’m pretty much the same situation, what did you decide?

To to run my gas line is approx 3500 to 4K in north jersey, it’s a long run about 125 feet.

Looks like some good votes here for the heat pump.

I still haven't settled on something as they are just about done finishing pool construction. I figure I have until early spring to decide. I am leaning heavily towards the Heat Pump - UltraTemp 140 to be exact.... $3300 Free ship/no tax. Got Friends/Family to help with the install. If I am not happy with it, I figured I can always "Let it go" and switch to propane.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m in East Quogue Long Island we have heat pump. Let me start by saying if we had gas I would of got a gas heater but we don’t. We would have had to run lines bla bla bla. This is out 3rd year with a heat pump Pentair 140. It does the job. We like water at 84 low to 86. Sun does keep water at 84. The pump doesn’t have to work hard. Electric is high there. If I use the heat pump in early spring and now in September the electric bill can be $100 a month more. We do not have a solar cover and I see the smoke coming off the pool in AM. After using this heater, we got smart and turn it on at 6 am and run it to 3 pm only. I find that it will heat water faster in day time. Water temp drops 2 deg at night.

How well do you think the Ultra Temp 140 would do heating a 400 Gallon SPA?

One thing to consider, is the pump run time with a heater, and/or a VSP. A Heat Pump will require longer pump run times. If it takes on average 6 hours daily to keep my pool temperature constant, it would take 3 hours with a gas heater (Assuming no solar cover), but I have to tell you that they are a PIA to put on and take off daily (especially with no help). I have also found that running the heat pump from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. seems to produces faster heat times, given more efficiency as temperature increases.

While the heat pump runs longer, so does the pump. My calculations with a single speed at 3,450 RPM's is $.33 per hour. At 6 hours, my pump will cost $1.98 per day. The heat pump is around $1 per hour, or $6 per day. In total, the cost is at $8 per day, that is assuming one can keep the pool at the constant temperature of 84-86 degrees. This summer, I tried to maintain the temperature at 84. The overnight drop was only a few degrees. I found that the hotter the water is, the faster it heats up, even with the heat pump.

Assuming a gas heater can heat the pool up in 3 hours, plus the pump run time of 3 hours ($1 in cost per day), can a gas heater consume less than $7 of gas per day? Based on what I have been told by people who own gas heaters locally, the average gas bill runs between $450-$600 per month. In the end, I believe a heat pump will cost a lot less.

Although, if you like being in the water when temperatures are in the lower 70's, and lower 80's, then a gas heater would be a better choice, but a more expensive one. For my needs, no one goes swimming when temperatures get that low, especially with school starting the first week of September. The pool rarely gets used during the school season, which places limitations on the pool and this is one of the reasons why I decided on the heat pump along with clearance issues.

Hi Whix,
Believe it or not I found a used 140K BTU heat pump and picke dit up for 200 bucks.
The nice retired guy who sold it to me took down his pool as his kids were older. It supposedly works, it was all taken apart when I picked it up.
Keeping my fingers crossed till the spring! Worst case scenario my brother in law is an HVAC tech so I'm hoping we can fix anything it needs.

I still haven't settled on something as they are just about done finishing pool construction. I figure I have until early spring to decide. I am leaning heavily towards the Heat Pump - UltraTemp 140 to be exact.... $3300 Free ship/no tax. Got Friends/Family to help with the install. If I am not happy with it, I figured I can always "Let it go" and switch to propane.

- - - Updated - - -

How well do you think the Ultra Temp 140 would do heating a 400 Gallon SPA?

In Cincinnati. Installed a heatpump the year before last. I like it alot. In the swing seasons, May and september, i use a solar blanket, and the cost to keep the pool (24k gal) in the mid 80s is less than $100 month. In the middle of summer, i use it for peaking the pool up to at least 86 degrees without a solar cover, and the cost is marginal. It only heats about 0.5 degrees per hour, so its a heat and maintain kind of thing for when the weather is nice (in the swing seasons). That is definitely the difference compared to a gas heater, which can heat more quickly. But for maintaining the temp using a solar cover, you will not regret a heat pump with regard to cost. Good luck

Reactions: Maurino17
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.