Noob learning the hard way

Are you certain this was full strength 6% bleach (like Chlorox or another bleach that states 6% sodium hypochlorite on the label?)
Yep, Wal-Mart generic 6%, just bought it.
402, what does your water look like? Do you have much debris in the pool?
I vacuumed it today, but some small leaves and grass type things have blown in since then.
Is there any hope I can close it tomorrow PM?
They are calling for colder weather and rain to start on Fri PM.

b/o 402 said:
Hmmm.
Tested 1 hour after adding indicated amount (575 oz) of bleach about 5:45 PM.
Result (tested 2 different spots in the pool):
FC = <1
CC == 5

Did I wait long enough after adding bleach to get a correct reading?
Should I go ahead and add more bleach now and retest later?
I'd like to shock this pool!
In the morning you had CC 3, after adding bleach you have CC 5. That tells me the chlorine is getting chewed up by something, and you need to add more. You are shocking the pool, you just haven't cleared up whatever the problem is yet.
b/o 402 said:
Is there any hope I can close it tomorrow PM?
They are calling for colder weather and rain to start on Fri PM.
It's not looking good from this corner, unfortunately.
--paulr

PaulR said:
In the morning you had CC 3, after adding bleach you have CC 5. That tells me the chlorine is getting chewed up by something, and you need to add more. You are shocking the pool, you just haven't cleared up whatever the problem is yet.
Yes, I have to agree with Paul's analysis. It's very possible that the chlorine you've added has already been used up. Would still recommend testing the FC/CC one more time to be sure you're not at 16 ppm, but if your testing shows FC at much less than 16 ppm, you'll want to add more chlorine to reach shock level... and then continue pumping and adding chlorine to KEEP IT there.

Ok, so at 10 PM I went ahead and added the rest of the bleach I had, approx 335 oz.
Just went out at 11:50 and checked for FC:
FC = 1
CC = 7
So, that would be consistent with the idea that all the chlorine is getting used up by little tiny thingies.
(sigh) Guess I'll have to buy more bleach tomorrow.

b/o 402 said:
Ok, so at 10 PM I went ahead and added the rest of the bleach I had, approx 335 oz.
Just went out at 11:50 and checked for FC:
FC = 1
CC = 7
So, that would be consistent with the idea that all the chlorine is getting used up by little tiny thingies.
(sigh) Guess I'll have to buy more bleach tomorrow.
Yes, that's certainly a remarkable rate of consumption. I don't suppose you could have reversed the test results so that the FC is actually 7 ppm? :oops:
Anyway, do check back here later tonight or in the morning to see if others can provide additional advice.

Yeah, that's why I asked you the appearance of your water.....it's pretty unusual for that much FC loss to occur so quickly in water that appears clear.

Nevertheless, I agree with everyone that it appears you need to continue shocking your pool and get it a little more cleaned up before you put it to bed for the winter. Looks like we got a week of reasonable weather coming up here on the East Coast so I think it'll allow you time to clear out the nasties (remember, shocking your pool is a process....you must keep the chlorine up at high levels until you stop losing FC) and then closing it up.

The water will be cooling down into a range that will discourage much more algae growth (hopefull all winter) and you should have a decent looking pool when you open in the Spring.

Thanks for all your encouragement!
Went out and tested this AM
pH still a solid 7.2. Is this close enough, or do I need to bring it up a little more?
FC still less than 0.5.
CC = 6
Obviously I've got to add a bunch of Cl. Is time of day even relevant at this point?
What is the process by which the CCs are eiminated? Do they evaporate or get caught in the filter or what?
(I'm wondering if you are developing an ammonia situation...this was a trichlor pool, right?)
What's an ammonia situation? How do I test or it, and how do I treat it?
Thanks, everybody!

For the PH - what is your TA now? Go ahead and test that.

To rid the pool of CC's it take more FC. Confusing I know.

What happens is in certain conditions, when CYA is present, and FC is allowed to drop too low, some bacteria can enter the pool and consume the CYA, converting it into Ammonia. Often what happens then is when more FC is added, it is rapidly consumed by the ammonia and registers as very high CC. The high CC and ammonia create a VERY large chlorine demand. IT could take gallons and gallons of bleach to oxidize the CCs and ammonia.

You just have to keep shocking if that's the case, until it holds overnight. There have been a few cases of it this year, in one case it took almost a month for the FC to begin to hold.

You can do a google search for "ammonia" (bottom left corner) to read the other threads about it.

To confirm it in your situation, you can purchase a simple ammonia test kit from a Pet Shop.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the heads up, poolmom. The threads about ammonia sure sound like what I have here.
Current T/A = 100 - 120. That is, the sample turns red immediately at drop 10, but then reverts to green; at drop 12 it stays red. Which reading do I use?
It looks like the treatment for ammonia-producing bacteria is basically still the same, i.e. keep chlorinating until an FC holds. Are there other parts of this I'm missing? In other words, do I really need to go find an ammonia test kit?

b/o 402 said:
Thanks for the heads up, poolmom. The threads about ammonia sure sound like what I have here.
Current T/A = 100 - 120. That is, the sample turns red immediately at drop 10, but then reverts to green; at drop 12 it stays red. Which reading do I use?

Drop 12 doesn't revert, so that's the one to use.

It looks like the treatment for ammonia-producing bacteria is basically still the same, i.e. keep chlorinating until an FC holds. Are there other parts of this I'm missing? In other words, do I really need to go find an ammonia test kit?

Probably not. It would just explain why your CCs are high. I asked our resident chemist (chem geek) about this possibility last night and he seemed to agree that ammonia could be the cause of high CCs. Whatever the cause, the answer is the same, lots of bleach, to hold the pool at shock level for as long as it takes.

pH still a solid 7.2. Is this close enough, or do I need to bring it up a little more?

No, 7.2 is perfect.

FC still less than 0.5.
CC = 6
Obviously I've got to add a bunch of Cl. Is time of day even relevant at this point?

In your situation, add chlorine whenever it drops below shock level, at any time of day.

What is the process by which the CCs are eiminated? Do they evaporate or get caught in the filter or what?

The combined chlorine (monochloramines and others) is oxidized eventually by copious amounts of Free Chlorine. See frustratedpoolmom's explanation.
I read through some of the material re: CYA converting into ammonia last night, and it seems you may be in for a long haul... but you will save yourself grief later on if you can whip this thing before closing. FPM's explanation provides the detail of the process that delivered your pool into this sorry state and also contains the key to getting it right.

If you have the time to devote, this process will go faster than if you just drop chlorine in and check it the next day. In one post, there's advice to add sufficient chlorine to shock, then test it in just one-half hour... then add more to reach the same level, and do this as often as possible especially in the first day or two. Elsewhere I think it was duraleigh who suggested that you should prepare yourself with 4 times the amount of liquid chlorine needed to bring FC up from 0 to shock level (16 ppm, in your case.) That's a lot of chlorine, but because of the suspect ammonia, you may end buying much more. If it's cheaper in your area to purchase 10 or 12% liquid chlorine, you might want to consider this. Otherwise, go with the big jugs you've been getting so far. Bottom line, I think, is don't give up... add chlorine aggressively (meaning often) and do everything possible to keep the FC at shock level at all times.

polyvue said:
If you have the time to devote, this process will go faster than if you just drop chlorine in and check it the next day. In one post, there's advice to add sufficient chlorine to shock, then test it in just one-half hour... then add more to reach the same level, and do this as often as possible especially in the first day or two. Elsewhere I think it was duraleigh who suggested that you should prepare yourself with 4 times the amount of liquid chlorine needed to bring FC up from 0 to shock level (16 ppm, in your case.) That's a lot of chlorine, but because of the suspect ammonia, you may end buying much more. If it's cheaper in your area to purchase 10 or 12% liquid chlorine, you might want to consider this. Otherwise, go with the big jugs you've been getting so far. Bottom line, I think, is don't give up... add chlorine aggressively (meaning often) and do everything possible to keep the FC at shock level at all times.

Yep, that's what I figured.
Added 4 jugs (728 oz) at 11AM.
Quick test at 6 PM showed FC somewhere between 1 and 3. Added 4 more big jugs at 6PM. Will do proper FC and CC test later this evening.

Ok, tested about 9:30 PM
Making progress, I guess?
FC = 6
CC = 7.5
Added 2+ big jugs of bleach per the pool calculator.
If I can, I'd like to check the FC once more before bed, then we'll see how it looks in the AM.
On the plus side: got to hear a screech owl calling very close by (if not in) the backyard tonight, for a good 10 minutes.

b/o 402 said:
Ok, tested about 9:30 PM
Making progress, I guess?
FC = 6
CC = 7.5
Added 2+ big jugs of bleach per the pool calculator.
If I can, I'd like to check the FC once more before bed, then we'll see how it looks in the AM.
On the plus side: got to hear a screech owl calling very close by (if not in) the backyard tonight, for a good 10 minutes.
To be effective you should try to figure out some way to get to the maximum chlorine level in a hurry...and stay as close as possible to that level at all times. This may mean testing 30-60 minutes after chlorine application, then if FC < 16, repeat the application, wait another 30-60 minutes, and test again... etc. etc. I know it's a PITA and you'll burn through testing supplies as well as chlorine, but this is the fastest route to completion.

Anyway... you have the owl to keep you company! :lol:

I hope you can help me figure out how to beat this ammonia-producing bacteria problem. It seems that merely adding enough bleach to raise the Cl concentration to normal shock levels isn't doing anything but feeding them.
Yesterday, I added 3 big jugs at a time at 4 intervals. Testing before adding came up with similar results of FC in the 2-4 range and CCs anywhere from 10 to 21.
Lastnight before bed I added 6 more big jugs (1096 oz). That's a total of 18 jugs (3288 oz) of 6% bleach in one day.
This morning, FC still 1, CCs = 10.
What must I do to knock these things out? Is there another solution? I'm not going to keep throwing good money after bad.
By the way, the pool water is perfectly clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.