Another New Pool - N.Houston

Agree the wood fireplace does hinder viewing lines but it is also a structural element of the house/roof line so it’s here to stay. Plus we love having an outdoor wood burning fireplace for chilly evenings.

PB super came and introduced himself today and “painted” our pool and pavilion on the ground. Thinks we might get dug next week weather permitting but forecast does call for rain.

f410bf714eba1b3407b84e2c6828f98a.jpg

6223a32b0d33f24b035ae292f3755240.jpg
a3e400e1cf47f89fb52add068fc87dc5.jpg

Getting closer!!

Went out with my 13yo and put a tape measure on the length, width of pool and pavilion and matched overall dimensions to contracts and survey.

The painted pool outline lines are generally about 16-20” longer and wider than the target pool which I presume is due to an 8-12” beam all the way around. Our target is roughly 40’x26’ but with free form it’s generally there. The painted outline was 42.5’ and 28’. Space off the house and in from back fence is perfect. Left to right orientation is probably good too, although spa ended up being further left than I envisioned in my minds eye.

The Pavilion is 6” inside the storm sewer easement that runs inside my side fence line which is what I wanted to push it as far to side as possible without encroaching on the easement. I do think the pavilion is too close to the house. Once it’s done it will be 10’ tall to the eave of pavilion roof, plus a 12/6 slope roof, the total height will be like 15’ and I think will throw shade on house and block natural light into our sun room/breakfast room windows. We have space to push the pavilion 10’ further back (within build lines) to get the sunlight back into the house. However this probably results in needing 10’ x 25’; 250sq ft more travertine decking which I’m guessing is an extra $4-5k.

I’m keeping my eye on you Kim, as I seem to do just fine spending $$$ myself, and I know you are a trouble maker in this department. [emoji23]

Check back Sunday for updated pics of materials selection.

Your pool design looks great. Are you planning to lay your Travertine pool deck in a dry set or a wet set? I am in the process of my pool being built and I am leaning towards the dry set method vs a concrete slab. I'm living in Virginia and trying to make a decision.

Quantbase: I believe my PB will do pavers over compacted base and sand, not concrete.

Kim: shift spa, probably not as I think doing so will require shortening pool a bit, and/or pivoting the spa towards house more, and making the spillway water feature turn away from the house. but will get a couple more days to dwell on it.

So we picked materials on Saturday.

We landed on Colorado travertine for deck and coping with bullnose. Will use Tiramisu 1*2 Split Face trav on spa surround and raised beam and on feature wall in pavilion. A dark navy blue/gray 6*6 waterline tile. And drumroll....Blue Smurf PS with shimmering sea add-in. We had Blue granite last pool, and wanted more blue, and no aqua/green. Hope we love it. See pic, which doesn’t have the split face in the pic as I forgot to put it in the shot.

f9d09dd731944cc7dff5068765d887c8.jpg

I need help deciding on if we add a glass accent tiles as step markers. It looks cool and It’s very popular now, but will it look dated quickly? My PB is very anti-glass tile here in N.Houston as he feels it always brings them service/maintenance problems since in his experience the glass tiles scratch very easily with stiff brushing/scrubbing to keep scale down and given we do get a couple hard freezes every year they tend to pop off more and generally don’t hold up as well as ceramic.

Love it all!!! That water line tile is SO pretty!

Step markers-have the tilers cut those waterline tiles into fourths and use that as your step markers!

For the waterline tile.............when the box gets there go through the box. Pick out the extra pretty ones to be used on the eye catching places like when you walk out to the pool. THEN pick out the ugly ones and hide them so they don't get used.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would add Screen Logic 2 its fantastic when the wife and I are out at dinner and we decide to get in the hot tub. Pull out the phone and fire up the tub and it is ready by the time we get home. No wait time. I would also second the SWG. This is my first experience with one and I will likely never go back.

My dig is scheduled for today and I will be here for part of it but not the end so I will measure tonight.

I have my target dimensions in the contract and emails with PB that I will compare to.

How much longer, wider and deeper than the target finished pool dimensions does the hole need to be?

Also my yard where the pool will be is at a lower point than my house patio, but the planned final elevation is for house patio, pool decking/coping to all be level (but for normal slope for drainage). So if this elevation difference is 6-8” over the 10’ between house and pool, I presume this means the hole depth needs to take this into account?

I’m good with numbers but this geometry makes my head hurt.

For the depth you will measure from the the floor to where the middle of the skimmer face will be as that will be the water depth. They should have the hole cut out for the skimmer when they are done digging.

Add about 8" for the steel, gunite, and plaster. Now when you go wall to wall you will add 16" as it will be 8" on each side (I know you know this but wanted to make sure). If it is WAY off then you need to talk to the PB. make sure they put the deep end in the deep end kind of thing. Yeah we had one build where they switched up the ends :roll:

So my 10.18 dig got rained out as it poured all morning. But the BIG DIG took place today after much waiting. Rain was anticipated this evening and tomorrow, so my PB arranged for gunite flash this evening. Here are two 1min timelapses from the cameras I put on each side.

Here are a couple of the gunite flash, although the guys block the camera whilst lifting the plastic to protect my house from flying gunite. :)

Steel and rough-in will go down in the next few days weather permitting.

RAIN, RAIN, STAY AWAY....Its raining now as I type this.

That worked!!! THANKS! Let the mud begin!! Now I know what those tiny shoves I have seen before and wondered what they were good for. They are purrfect for pool shaping!

Are they done with the dig? It looks like it but to make sure. If it is done then go out a measure it. Add about 8" to each wall and the bottom for the steel, gunite, and plaster. Is it wide, long, deep, etc enough?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.