New Swim Spa on the way

Jun 8, 2016
South Carolina
Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for a couple of years trying to do my research before purchasing a pool or swim spa. Now the time has finally come and I have a 17' ATV 17 Sport on the way (unfortunately it won't be here until October). Per the manufacturers specs it should be approximately 2400 gallons. My plan is to keep it around the 85 degree mark on temp. It will be covered when not in use, but I plan to swim daily and I have a 5 year old and twin 4 year olds.... so I know that I'm going to have high bather load at times. I think I'm leaning towards adding 50 ppm borates and using the Dichlor then bleach method.

I would love to hear from other swim spa users what their experiences have been maintaining the water and what method they are using. I am located pretty close to a lake, so I would like to minimize the frequency of draining the swim spa as much as possible to avoid any chance of contamination. Also... for those that have been successfully maintaining their swim spas: What number goals have you used and do you have any advice on things for a new swim spa owner to watch out for?

ATV Recommends:

FC - 2-3 (Ozonator installed)
pH - 7.4-7.6
TA - 80-140
CH - 200-300
CYA - (No Recommendation) - I'm leaning towards 40
Borate - (No Recommendation) - Leaning towards 50

Based on Pool Math, these numbers seem to be a little closer to a fiberglass pool than a hot tub?

Again... I have plenty of time to finalize my targets. Just trying to plan ahead and gather as much information as possible.

Swim Spa is finally being delivered tomorrow. I think I pretty much everything the pool company is telling me matches up with what I've read here except where to aim for on TA. Tested my well water last night and TA was 135. Pool company was happy with that and wants me to leave it there. I was leaning on moving towards the 50-80 range that's recommended for hot tubs by Pool Math. I understand that hot tubs typically go for lower TA due to the aeration and the heat. And pools usually balance at higher TA's due to lower temp and lack of aeration. I'm guessing a swim spa set at 82 degrees will be somewhere in the middle?

I'd love to hear from someone who actually owns a large swim spa and who is maintaining it using the bleach method.

1. How much bleach do you end up using on a daily/weekly basis?
2. What TA have you found to work best?

I guess starting tomorrow I'll get it figured out either way. I'll get them to set it like they like it, then I'll start working through the aeration method to lower TA until PH stabilizes.

I'm also considering adding Borates to 40-50 ppm. I assume I should find my TA balance point and then work my boric acid in?

Signature doesn't show yet, but have Taylor K-2006 test kit.