polaris 360 backup valve

Oct 19, 2009
Hi,

I just purchased a home with pool and polaris 360, and noticed the 360 keeps getting stuck
in corner of stairs. I checked pressure and wheel RPM and it seems okay.

I did notice the backup valve always has a steady stream coming out. When it cycles on
it becomes much stronger, but it doesn't turn off completely. Is the backup valve supposed
to turn off completely?

thanks

clutch

clutch8888 said:
I just purchased a home with pool and polaris 360, and noticed the 360 keeps getting stuck in corner of stairs. I checked pressure and wheel RPM and it seems okay.

I did notice the backup valve always has a steady stream coming out. When it cycles on
it becomes much stronger, but it doesn't turn off completely. Is the backup valve supposed
to turn off completely?
Welcome to the forum! :)

I have a Polaris 280 but the sweeper is similar to your 360... the backup valve on my cleaner emits nothing until it cycles, and then it produces a strong jet effect. It sounds like yours is malfunctioning; try dissasembling it (not an easy task!) and inspecting the components. You may have to buy another backup valve if nothing is evidently wrong. Though adjusting the cleaner's rear jet might assist it in avoiding (or climbing) the stairs, even the booster models (280, 380) sometimes hang up there. Your best bet is repairing backup valve or replacing.

I've only done this once -- when it was practically new -- but others on this board have stated how difficult this is. Perhaps if you use one of those strap wrenches used by the elderly to open large pickle jars, etc. Don't think there's any trick beyond the application of brute strength while unthreading it and somehow not breaking it in the process!

I posted this somewhere else but will do so again here. I've had several Polaris with the backup valves (reason for multiples is that my dogs "rescue" them, then "kill" them).

What has worked for me, on occasion, if the backup valve is not truly broken is to "backwash" it. Worth a try. Take valve out of line and run pretty strong stream of water backwards through it. Then run water the "right" way for a bit. May have to do the process several times. Sometimes tiny bits of debris can make it through the wall fitting screen that may get lodged in the valve. With skimmer socks and DE filter that catches virtually all of our debris there is sometimes a spec or two in the screen. This lodging happened before I became aware of frequently checking the screen to make sure not one bit of debris is in it. I've now been doing that for several years, once or twice a week, and always when I unhook it from wall fitting for any reason and I haven't had any backup valve issues for several years now.

Whenever I'm visiting one of several of my friends/acquaintances, who have pools with Polaris' I check their screens or at least ask them if they've checked recently (I know, I'm the nosey neighbor :-D ). More often than not they have debris in their screens. I have one friend who's screen is always filled with little bits of juniper "leaves" that make it through even her DE filter. I don't know how the water even makes it to the Polaris. :?

gg=alice

Thanks Granny and Polyvue. I've tried backwashing the return valve and it didn't help (seemed pretty clean) and also
bought a replacement with same results. So I'm attributing it to the small width return line. I can change the water return split using Jandy valve so it helped a little but still gets stuck sometimes. Guess I'll have to brush and vacuum a little more often.

thanks

clutch8888, How many returns do you have in the pool? And did you say you could use the Jandy valve to put more pressure into the line the P-360 is hooked to? Are there any other returns on the same line as the P-360?

The reasons I ask...... I have four returns in the pool coming off of one pipe, in addition to the separate P-280 return (separate pipe to pool), connected to a booster pump. It has only the P-280 on it. Your cleaner is made to run at low pressure without a booster pump but it needs a certain amount.

I recently added a PoolSkim to one of the return lines (the four returns off of one pipe). I wasn't getting enough flow through it so I had to put a restrictor eyeball on one of the other returns to get more pressure to the PoolSkim. I then added another PoolSkim (I live in the woods with high winds year round.) and had to put a restrictor on the other remaining eyeball. This gives me enough flow to the PoolSkims to get the venturi action needed. This did raise the pressure at the filter a bit, about 6 psi but so worth it.

So there could be some other options depending on your setup.

gg=alice

polyvue said:
-- Perhaps if you use one of those strap wrenches used by the elderly to open large pickle jars, etc.

:rant: You mean a strap wrench. I've been using them for years for all kinds of jobs even before I became "elderly" although I think I'm "middle-aged". I don't even consider my DH, 74, as elderly. The things for the kitchen, that the "elderly" use probably wouldn't work. You would need two strap wrenches too.

BTW.... Because of arthritis in my thumb I started using an "elderly" top opener in my 30's. And there is a best one in case anyone wants to know which one.

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
clutch8888 said:
Umm, is there any trick to pulling apart the return valve casing? I'm trying to unscrew the center
portion and its not budging, is there something I need to free up or unlatch first?

thanks

You can borrow one of my dogs. :twisted: They seem to have no trouble but you'd have to buy a new one after they opened it for you.

clutch8888 said:
Hi granny,

I have 2 return lines separated from the return line that goes to the polaris. the jandy valve allows me to vary the mix.

thanks
clutch

So, now that you have put in a new backup valve and it is still getting stuck and you can get the flow you want are you happy with the job it does otherwise, other than getting stuck on the steps?

I don't have a problem with mine getting stuck anywhere other than the tail occasionally catching between the wall and PoolSkim but it gets unstuck once the backup valve does its thing; so mine really isn't "stuck".

I'll bet there are quite a few people on TFP who have had to deal with cleaners getting stuck in various places.

If it is truly "stuck" does that mean it has wedged itself in there and it takes some pulling by you to get it unstuck? Mine sometimes gets hung on the edge of the seat where the wheels are turning but they are not making contact with hard surface. Occasionally it will take two backup cycles (and every once in a while three) for it to nudge itself out of that position. I can see where the 360 may have more problems as it operates on such low pressure. The pressure in my 280 is so intense it hurts if you stick your hand behind the backup valve when it is backing up.

As someone has suggested playing with the directional jet at the back of P could help. It is time consuming so do it when you want to relax and "watch" the pool.

gg=alice

Hi Granny,

the new backup valve is performing same as old backup valve. there is a small trickle out of the spout when not in backup mode (this small
trickle was what was making me think it was broken but the new unit does the same).

the polaris has been fine except when it gets stuck at the stair corner. The way the stairs are it forces the polaris into the corner
of the pool. It is at the far corner of the pool where its shallow, so the hose kinda flattens out, and it has trouble pulling back at this
angle I believe. So I've been compensating for it some by increasing the pressure on jandy valve, but then it reduces the circulation
at the other returns and actually a little too fast when not stuck in corner.

I've tried playing with different angles of the rear jet, and also different hose float locations with no luck. So at this point I'm kinda
out of ideas so have just been letting it do what it can. in that corner it frees itself maybe 25% of the time.

I tried to see what exactly the ladder guard is, but I think its to prevent it from getting stuckon the poles of the ladder, wasn't
sure if it would be useful in my case.

thanks for all your responses Granny!

I know this is an old thread but after my search I had to bring it back to thank GeekGranny! My backup valve was constantly shooting out the reverse hole, and my 360 just floated around. I ended up removing the valve completely for a quick fix but the 360 just didnt perform correctly. So after searching I read to shoot water in the valve, both ends, and after doing that a few times the water did stop shooting out the reverse hole! I reassembled my hoses, adjusted the rest of the 360 and it is finally vacuuming! :party:

All I can say is, I'm not Hercules or The Hulk. But I'm not a weakling either. I tell you. I can't get mine open. Tried all day. Tearing up my hands from this.
I'm guessing Polaris just wants you to buy a new one & save your strength for other things. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.