New Pool Owner Closing Questions

Oct 7, 2009
Our pool was completed a few months ago and this is my first time closing. I’m just about done closing the pool but I want to be sure of a few things.

1. I shouldn’t reinstall the two (2) pump plugs?
2. I shouldn’t reinstall the filter drain plug?
3. We have a Jandy valve running in between the filter outlet and heater. According to our PB we should never close this valve during pool operation. My assumption is if closed it will prevent water from flowing to the heater. For winterizing purposes, should I leave this valve open or should I close it?

Thank you

Put the pump plugs in the pump basket. I generally thread the filter plug on a couple turns. This lets any residual water drain and keeps little critters from getting inside it.

Leave the valve open and remove the handle. Put it some place safe. This will discourage trying to use it except when its needed.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

I'm not sure what you have or have not done during your closing so here is a quick list:
- Remove all water from all plumbing. I use a big shop vac in blower mode because the large volume of airs does a good job
- I also use vac to remove water from skimmer plumbing.
- Remove cap, and foil from a gallon of antifreeze and screw cap on loosely. Squeeze jug to make sure air can escape. Place jug in skimmer and install cover. I also cover skimmer cover with large plastic bag to keep rainwater out.
- Lower water in pool below returns, blow out lines and install plugs to keep water out during winter. Add antifreeze from pump side.
- Install plug in bottom of skimmer after adding antifreeze
- Remove SWG and bring inside
- Plug all open pipes or cover with plastic bags to keep rain/critters out.
- Briefly remove all check valves to insure pipes are drained and replace.
- Drain filter
- Remove plugs from pump and blow out. I replace plugs with quick release air compressor nipples to let condensation out but keep critters out of pump.

The main thing is to remove any water that can freeze, expand and crack your plumbing. Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.