Hand vaccuum instead of Polaris?

Johnny B

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 19, 2009
Charlotte, NC
For those "little spot jobs". 10 minutes or so, to grab the occasional leaves, dead bugs etc at the bottom of the pool.

Polaris means hauling out the hoses & then storing them away etc.
Is there any type of hand/manual way to vac the bottom of a pool quickly?

Thanks

Johnny B said:
For those "little spot jobs". 10 minutes or so, to grab the occasional leaves, dead bugs etc at the bottom of the pool. Is there any type of hand/manual way to vac the bottom of a pool quickly?
Well, I've not found a consensus here on any best solution... all of the portable/handheld cleaners must be maintained, stored and occasionally repaired. And not all of them (any of them?) are as effective as regular old pressure-side cleaners (like Polaris 280 and 360, 380). Check out these recent threads.

poolbuster-t15293.html

anyone-using-the-small-aqua-broom-t16713.html

best-way-to-vacuum-clean-your-outdoor-spa-t17297.html

Are you talking about something other than the regular vacuum head, hose, and telepole:

WATERWORT-ManualVacuum.jpg

HarryH3 said:
Our Polaris rarely comes out of the water. :shock: I just leave it connected and it runs about 90 minutes every day. I haven't had to manual vac in over 2 years. :cool:

This sounds like a great plan. I assumed one shouldn't leave it in the water for chemical breakdown reasons. I know that UV is bad for them, manual states that, but doesn't mention leaving it in the water.
Everyone pretty much agree its cool to leave the Polaris in the water ( except for swimming issues)?

Thanks

Johnny B said:
Everyone pretty much agree its cool to leave the Polaris in the water ( except for swimming issues)?
My Polaris stays in the water except when removing for swimming or for a brief visit to the adjoining spa. I think most of the wear and tear issues come from yanking the machine out of the water... after two years, it seems OK to just stay submerged. (At least, it's never complained to me personally! :shock: )

I have been using the AquaQuik. You pump the handle up and down and it strains out the dirt. I did have to super glue the piston to the handle to keep it from coming undone. Its fine for small jobs. Found it a lot cheaper at Amazon compared to the pool store.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.