installing New equipment in Pool with a lot of Green Algae

QC

Oct 18, 2009
Concord,CA
Hi, we are going to replace are 30+ Year Pump,Filter,Heater system with Pentair WhisperFlo ,Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Filter CCP420 and Pentair MasterTemp Ultra-high Performance Gas Heater we have a bad Green Algae problem, can the Algae damage the Pentair CCP420 Cartridge Filters. We have tried shocking the pool but are Pump and filter does not work very well any more. Any help would be appreciated

Hi, Thanks for the help. I was thinking of using Polymer Algaecide and would it be ok to Shock the pool that evening, using 2 LBS per 10,000 gallons? Also are pool is in Concord, CA not planning to swim to much more.

Thanks

QC said:
Hi, Thanks for the help. I was thinking of using Polymer Algaecide and would it be ok to Shock the pool that evening, using 2 LBS per 10,000 gallons? Also are pool is in Concord, CA not planning to swim to much more.
Welcome to the forum, QC :)

Would hesitate to recommend use of an aglaecide before knowing a lot more about the current treatment and most recent test results for your pool. (Current levels for pH, FC, CC, CH, TA and CYA. If you have these numbers, please post them.) You may already know that liquid chlorine or bleach can be a very effective tool for shocking your pool, and nothing else is added to the water that you have to deal with later on. If you have a few minutes, please take the time to read these two short articles:

pool-school/defeating_algae

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

QC said:
Thanks for getting back to me. Can you recommend a good pool test kit
Lots of folks here use the TF-100 and possibly an equal number use Taylor K-2006 or Leslie's FAS-DPD Service Test kits (be forewarned that Leslie's stores don't always have this in stock.) All are priced at less than $100 and will last a long time. Here's a link that discusses relative merits of each:

pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

Thanks everyone for the help I will call up Leslie’s for the test kit. The one I have is a very basic one but I did take some levels the first is FC is about 2.0 and the PH is 7.8 not sure what I should add to the pool for the algae

QC said:
Thanks everyone for the help I will call up Leslie’s for the test kit. The one I have is a very basic one but I did take some levels the first is FC is about 2.0 and the PH is 7.8 not sure what I should add to the pool for the algae
The easy answer to your question is... chlorine! But post test results first and the people here can help you through it. BTW -- Be sure the Leslie's kit you purchase contains the FAS-DPD chlorine testing components... not all of theirs do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
QC said:
FC is about 2.0 and the PH is 7.8 not sure what I should add to the pool for the algae
That's easy, more chlorine. You have algae because there isn't enough chlorine in the pool. It's hard to know how much you need without some other tests, but bringing your FC up to 10 would have to help and would not harm anything (except the algae).

What kind of chlorine do you use? (The ingredient, not the brand name.) Around here we recommend "liquid chlorine" aka sodium hypochlorite, better known as "bleach." Regular unscented bleach works great and is cheap and easy to find.

Keep posting your progress, somebody's almost always around to cheer or advise.
--paulr

[And that polyvue keeps beating me to the punch...]

Paulr, I did not know that regular bleach from the store would have much effect on bring up FC and also kill the algea. Can you do this even if you have a SWG?

Thanks in advance

Brentr said:
Paulr, I did not know that regular bleach from the store would have much effect on bring up FC and also kill the algea. Can you do this even if you have a SWG?

Thanks in advance

Not PaulR, but YES!! In fact, we recommend using bleach or liquid chlorine to shock your SWG pool!!

Bleach is a lower concentration (usually 6%) of pool store liquid chlorine (10-12%). Shop around a bit... some folks find it is more cost effective to buy the LC, and in some areas, bleach is the better deal!

In 5775 gallons, one small (96 oz) jug of 6% bleach (e.g. Clorox) will bring FC up by about 8.
(According to the Pool Calculator.)

If you have an SWG, it seems to work best to use that for maintaining an FC level, but for shocking you are better off using bleach (or whatever) to bring FC up. That way the level comes up right away, you're not waiting on the SWG.
--paulr

Paulr and Mermaid Queen, thank you for this info. I do not have any numbers to post yet, however I have noticed some light mustard colored algea and I suspect that it is due to low chlorine. I thought about shocking it however I did not know what kind of schock to use. The water is crystal clear and the PH rises every week so I put in about 20 oz of muratic weekly. Last month I took a water sample to Leslies and the numbers came back perfect.
I will post some numbers later.
Thanks you for your direction and support

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.