We are supposed to start digging our new pool Oct 26. Specs are
21 x 41 Freeform 3-8ft deep
30,000 gallons
Pump Sta Rite Max E Pro 1.5 HP
Filter Pentair FNS 60 DE
Salt
Automatic Pool Cleaner: Polaris 280
spa 8' Cicle with 18" Raised
Plaster- Diamond Brite Super Blue or Cool Blue- Still can't decide!!!

Question is- Pool builder says that one light will suffice. We just need a white light with the diamond brite finish and there is no need to upgrade to LED or fiber optic.

With this size pool, would it not make more sense to have two lights on the side instead of one on the end? I am not an expert, but I want to get it right.

Also, plaster color. Does anyone have super blue and NOT like it?
Any other suggestions?

I greatly appreicate your posts.

I have a similarly shaped, just slightly larger pool with a light in the shallow end and another on the deep side.

Recently the one in the shallow end burned out and we really took note of how inadequate the lighting appeared with only one light burning. We're very glad we have two.

Not a bad idea to face the lights away from your sitting area as much as you can.

FYI, please make sure that the lights do not face towards the house. We did a NO-NO and placed ours under a sheer descent hoping that this would light up and while it does a good job, when the sheer descent if off, the glare is quite bothersome. We are thinking of replacing it with an Intellibrite LED and hopefully the glare would be reduced. HTH

My pool is medium to light blue plaster (depending on how much scale and where; fixing to work on that). I can only comment on the lights. My pool is about 32 ft long, "ovalish", only one light on deep end. Until I changed the 300 or 500 incandescent bulb (Amerlite 120v rated to 500 watts) out for the [edit] LED ColorSplash [end edit] we all hated the incandescent bulbs. The incandescent whites were too bright and too much blare with the deep end way too bright and shallow end, where side steps and seat are, not lit well enough. I had to wear heavily tinted swimmers goggles when I swam laps at night. (I'm a former long distance swimmer so 32 ft is about 2.5 strokes. A bit frustrating but aging and torn rotator cuff tendon makes laps a little more bearable now.) Standing out of pool at shallow end was even too much blare. Colored [EDIT] incandescents bulbs lit the shallow end even less, with still too much blare [end edit] and colored plastic light covers were constantly being knocked off and destroyed by the Polaris. With the bright incandescent bulbs the yard was well lit though. :mrgreen:

In my 32 ft pool, with the 120v LED, even with some of the darker colors, and more than most people will have of silt, in suspension, because of the puppies constantly dragging it in, the light is pretty adequate. But I think many people would want the option for more light, especially with small children or physically challenged at any age. LED light is more uniform and spreads better underwater than incandescent bulbs without the blare.

Considering your pool size (Congratulations BTW :-D ) I would highly advise putting two LED lights on side (pointing away from house/lounging area) that are equivalent to the one 120v LED ColorSplash that I have. I really think you will be much happier with aesthetics and safety.

gg=alice

Your posts are so helpful. I greatly appreciate them. The deep end of the pool faces the back of the house, and the pool builder already said that he hesitated to put the light there. He was worried that if he didn't, the whole pool wouldn't be lit up. I have asked numerous times though about upgrading the lights, and he felt one would be adequate.

Next question:
We have two two foot sheer descents on the back of the pool which has a two foot raised sun deck. Is there a need to light the descents? I don't know what the cost is to do this. I just know my husband. I get to do this one time, so I want to get it right. However, I don't want to be wasteful by any means.

Our pool has the Fiberstars fiber optic lights, which I would never recommend to anyone...

Anyway, here's something to think about. Once the pool is built, adding a second light would be VERY difficult. Turning one off, if you decide that two is too bright, would be pretty simple. The only downside is the additional up front cost for the second light...

momofthreegirls said:
Thanks everyone. We are going to go with two led lights in the pool and one led in the spa. I can't wait!!!

That sounds great. I'm excited for you and your new pool. I would love to design a pool now that I've had one for 23 years but won't be able to do that unless we win the lottery. :roll:

We've been through one house remodel (all downstairs and outside) where hubby and I lived, for six months in the master bedroom, bringing a few dogs up at a time (we had about 12 Mastiffs and a Rottie). No kitchen but master bath and kids' bathroom with huge sink, and large room (MBR) where we could put our recliners helped. We did get a new TV out of it because our rear projection big screen couldn't be moved upstairs. But if I was doing a pool build, now, I would love to go away for a month or two and hire someone I trusted to live here to supervise the build. I really admire everyone who puts in new pools and survives the experience. BTW.... being crammed into the MB for 6 months was great for our relationship. We had to get along. Just like with children, we practiced not raising our voices to each other so as not to upset our "kids".

Please take bunches of pictures for us all. It really does, too, help people who are thinking about, planning, or in process of building. Also, helps those of us who have pools already dream about, and maybe plan, and even go through with some of the things we see in new builds.

Again, congrats. Hope the rain curtails a bit. gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.