mesh above ground pool cover

tara15

Jun 18, 2007
I have a 15x25 above ground pool that i just covered with an arctic armor mesh pool cover. Its not the leaf net, it is a winter cover that allows the water to drain through. Heres the problem, when we put the cover on, it laid on the water. We drained the pool about 1/2 way. Now when it rains the water just sits on the cover. We tried draining the pool a little more, but the cover just sags a little more and stays on top of the water. What should I do?

Thanks

Tara

Is the cover the proper size for the pool? You could try an airpillow under the cover to help the cover sit up higher. How is the cover secured?

When you say the water sits on the top - is the rainwater draining thru and raising the water level back up? You don't want to drain too much water out of an AG pool - I'd be cautious about that.

Yes, its the proper size. It is secured with the rope they packaged it with and a winch/type device to tighten it with. I bought this cover so that i wouldnt have to put in an air pillow. The rain water is just sitting on top of the cover. It has no where to go, since the cover is right on the water. I just dont know what to do.

Okay, I looked it up on line since I'm not familiar with the product and it looks like it's supposed to sit on the top of the water, that in the spring when you go to remove it it won't be heavy because the water will drain thru. Doesn't sound from the results online that it's supposed to sit above the water line...

We are using one of these covers this year for the first time. They are supposed to rest on top of the water. It is considered normal to have a little water on the top. With ours, the first few weeks, the rain drained through. Then we had large amounts of rain over long stretches of time, so it hasn't quite kept up with the draining through. I theorize that the little holes may get somewhat plugged with silt after awhile too. I have read that these holes will get more open over time as the cover's weave opens up a bit. I know it drains through because the water level inside our pool went up, and I had to drain some. I'm thinking it's functioning as it should. Maybe someone on here who has used one longer would know more.

ok thanks. we did just have a big rain storm and the leaves are falling as well, so mabye its a little clogged? Ill go take the leaves off and stir things around and hopefully that will help.

Thanks everyone

Tara

Tara,

I bought the same Arctic Armor mesh cover a couple of weeks ago. When I installed it last weekend, I ended scooping quite a bit of water while fighting to put it in place. I ended up with as much as 1 foot of water in the middle. At the end of the day, it didn't appear like any of the water had sifted through the cover. I remembered having read somewhere that it was a slow process, and indeed, when I looked again the next day, there was only a couple of inches left. And two days after, there was no water left. We're supposed to get some heavy rains in the next couple of days, so I'll see if the sifting process goes well again. Hopefully you have experienced the same thing after a couple of days without rain?

Julien

I have the mesh cover as well, with the same results. Water on top, which drains through. A friend bought the same cover and after winching it, decided to add 24 gallon jugs to tie it down as well. Now the cover sits tight as a drum, without touching the water. He really likes that, but I am concerned about the weaves opening since it's so tight. Not sure whether to go with the jugs or not.

well, im adding some water to the pool. My husband drained it, thinking the water would drain through, but it didnt and just brought the pool cover down with it. Now the pool cover is barely covering the pool. Im still having lots of puddles on the cover. I guess well see what happens. Now im concerned with what will happen when it freezes.

We have had this cover for many years. Everything you describe about what is happening is completely normal. The water WILL drain through - it is supposed to sit on the water and some will be on top. It may even freeze a few inches into the ice if you live where it freezes. When spring rolls around and the water is melted, go ahead and SLOWLY pull the cover off and allow water to seive/drain through the mesh. It's not fast, but your pool will be nice and clean. DO NOT suspend the cover above the water line with jugs or put a pillow in there - it s not intended for that kind of use, you may damage the cover when ice or snow gets on top.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.