huskyrider

In The Industry
Mar 28, 2007
the woodlands, tx
I just wanted to say "Hey" and congratulate you founders on the new website!!!
You'll probably recognize my handle from some of the other pool forums I frequent.
I've included your new site on my favorites list and will make a sincere attempt to come in here in the evenings after work when I browse the others.
Of this I can assure you, I've never pulled anybodies leg about any aspect of the game. I call them the way I see them as a pool builder. It may not the answer a member wants to hear but it's what I've seen in a lifetime of building pools.
When it comes to advice feel free to ask, but please don't send me an email unless its quotation oriented. My office and designers intercept and erase almost all messages that aren't sales oriented. Just post on the forum and I'll reply if I feel my input would be of assistance.
I don't visit these forums to Spam for work, but it is wonderful reward of membership. If at any time you ever feel that my participation and replies are spamming don't hesitate to delete my reply or deny my accessing privileges. It's not the main purpose of me dropping in, I come in to relax after hours and interact with other pool enthusiasts and potential pool buyers from all over the world.

I look forward to your site doing well.

See ya,
Kelly

Thanks for the forum

Hello,

I'm new to your forum. I'm also new to the pool build arena. Thank you for being a resource of information and experience. I just started working with a PB in the Round Rock, Tx area. So far we have only painted the outline of the pool. I look forward to the process and completion. We waiting for approval from the City and the next available day to start digging.

Re: Thanks for the forum

rogerbrks said:
Hello,

I'm new to your forum. I'm also new to the pool build arena. Thank you for being a resource of information and experience. I just started working with a PB in the Round Rock, Tx area. So far we have only painted the outline of the pool. I look forward to the process and completion. We waiting for approval from the City and the next available day to start digging.

Welcome to the Forum. We would enjoy following your build process as it progresses. Please post some pics of your build, etc. Details of equipment choices are always a plus as well. :D

Re: New Web Site

James RTBS said:
Good Job Sean,

I'll be checking in, Thanks for the invite!

Thanks. Glad you could make it by.

FYI, James was the salesman for our pool/spa. He's a busy guy so I don't know how often he'll be dropping in, but I can tell you that he knows his stuff. Pick his brain if you get the chance. He's been a big help to us both before and after the sale.

Howdy Kelly - I'm glad to see you over on this forum now too. You were very helpful to me during my pool build last year over on the gardenweb pool forum, never really thanked you properly for all your time and expertise. Your were most generous with your knowledge and I definitely benefitted from it.

Gracy

I really felt bad when I saw the date I joined this forum. I remember it was started when I was actively participating in Ben's pool forum and the gardenweb pool forum.
Poolforum just kind of faded away and initially it seemed like this was more of a water chemistry oriented site so I'd been hanging at the gardenweb site for the past few years. I can't believe it's been so long since I joined or posted a reply.
I saw the sites name mentioned this evening on g-web by Scott from NJ and drifted back in.
I really don't remember the complete rules of etiquette on this forum.
I always flew my website on my signature on poolforum/pool solutions and the G-web site until they booted me off for having it as a spamming technique. It wasn't the purpose of showing it and after appealing to the administration/membership and changing my name I was allowed back on their site again.
Perhaps a moderator can enlighten me as to if it's acceptable or not, I saw it was on my profile and both of my replies prior to tonight's reply to bear831 in which I hid it from view.
I make every attempt to not spam my business on the sites I participate in and won't do so here either. If I should need to lose it, let me know, I'll be happy to change my profile.

Congrats on how well the site has done :goodjob: 8000 plus on board is very sweet indeed. WAY TO GO!!!

See ya,
Kelly

Hi, Kelly,

I certainly remember you and your well-thought-out posts very well as I'm sure will others.

I don't remember the rules precisely, either, but I'm sure you are fine.

Good to hear from you! :lol: :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
huskyrider said:
Congrats on how well the site has done 8000 plus on board is very sweet indeed. WAY TO GO!!!
Actually, as of the other night, there are 11,000+ members registered here... but don't know how many are active participants; I don't think the board software shows that value to regular members or contributors.

I summarized some forum statistics in this post a while ago and I suspect the percentages of participation are roughly the same where most people register but don't post though roughly 40% of those registered do make at least one post. Activity is always a lot slower over the winter months for obvious reasons (at least in the northern hemisphere). I think everyone has access to the raw forum posting data by clicking on the "Members" link to the left of the Search link near the upper right of the TFP home page.

chem geek said:
I summarized some forum statistics in this post a while ago and I suspect the percentages of participation are roughly the same where most people register but don't post though roughly 40% of those registered do make at least one post. Activity is always a lot slower over the winter months for obvious reasons (at least in the northern hemisphere). I think everyone has access to the raw forum posting data by clicking on the "Members" link to the left of the Search link near the upper right of the TFP home page.
Yes, I just read your statistical summary; it will be interesting to take another measurement come next April. Since that post there's been an increase of about 4,500 members. While the raw data is visible and accessible thru the Members option, some BBS' calculate an "active member" number or percentage, though I'm not sure how this measurement is achieved. My first week here I guesstimated that about 50% or more members posted 0 or 1 time only. A figure that is perhaps more meaningful would be those who have posted or logged in at least once in the previous 12 month period. I'm sure there is a considerable number of passersby who post once or not at all and have not bothered to check in again after initial contact. And -- this may be typical on boards, I don't know -- there are a few who have posted 15 or 20 or more times but at some point have dropped off for reasons unknown or undivulged. Thinking of member #10 here.

Jason knows far more about this than I do, but I don't think we have an "active" member feature. I have seen boards that do but, like polyvue, I'm not sure what criteria they use to determine who is "active".

Early on, I was surprised at the large number of folks who register but do not post. However, it seems to have stayed a very consistent percentage from inception of the board 'til now.

We're hijacking Kelly's thread just a little here. Nevertheless, a puzzling thing to me is why some sites move up (or stay up) in the search engines. To my knowledge, we are easily the most "active" pool site and have been so now for at least a year or more, yet there are some on the net that are virtually unattended but still ranked at the very top when you google search.

I know the "formulas" that google uses to determine rankings are not well known but it seem like they do not place much emphasis on recent activity.

Again, Jason knows and understands this far better than I do, but it appears you simply have to bide your time and your rankings will slowly improve.

I enjoyed the contest a year or so ago when we guessed the number of members we would have (I think by Sept 1). That might be fun to do again this coming season....I would guess about 16k if I had to guess right now.

Hi Kelly :wave: (even if you hadn't given your name - I know who Huskyrider is :cool: )

The folks from PF know who Kelly is and how valuable his info is!

Dave, given ~ 11,000 now, I'd say 16K is a little high :wink: (If we're starting a contest, I'll say that there will be 14,256 members on May 12th @ 12:00 noon, Eastern time)

I think last year we made Sept 1 as the date for the count with a cutoff for entries sometime in June....I can't remember.

However, Ted, since you have foolishly squandered your strategy, you will be easy to beat (I only missed by about 25% last year and didn't make it to the top 50 :shock: )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.