16x32 AGP in Northern Wisconsin

wgilroy

Jun 1, 2021
Hello,
In preparation of our first pool, I came across this site in my google searches and have found a ton of value in this forum.
I'm not a carpenter or engineer by any means, but I find that if I take my time I can usually get something done right; it just takes me 3x longer! I have a tendency to work harder than smarter :/

I'll post pictures of my success/challenges when I'm done setting up the pool. We purchased an Intex Ultra XTR 16x32 AGP from Walmart.com and it arrived on a Friday. I spent most of the weekend "prepping" the build site and am still working on it after my day job (today is Tuesday). I'm paranoid of having an unleveled pool after watching some youtube videos.
My plan is to:
1. Clear away the sod and level the ground as much as I can. (Done)
2. Build a 2x4 frame/form and fill with gravel/sand. I'm using the form to screed the sand and gravel. Compact it. Cover with 4x8 sheets of foam taped together with Gorilla tape. (In progress)
3. Cover the foam with provided ground tarp.
4. Unbox the pool and frame.
5. Assemble according to directions.
6. Place legs on 16x16 pressure treated ground contact pads.
7. Use two transfer pumps to pump water from lake that is 100ft away. (It would cost about 900.00 to have a local company fill the pool) I have to figure out a good way to filter the water. I was thinking of using a plastic garbage can with a fine screen mesh blocking out any large contaminants.
8. Enjoy pool and think about upgrades - fountains, skimmers, lights, salt water, etc...

I did purchase a slightly used SWG that appears to be made for an in-ground pool. I may ask for some help from fellow forum members on how to properly plumb in the SWG.

Anyway, if anyone cares to look over my plan and offer suggestions, I'm open to ideas and constructive criticism.

Mine is a permanent AGP and I have no experience with that kind of pools. So the only think about your overall plan I can say is to be very careful with the gravel as it may contain sharp pieces of stone that could damage your liner.

Regarding the water... I would try to experiment with the lake water first to see if it would work.... testing TA, CH, pH and metals (if possible).... I also would get 20-40 gal of water on bucket (clean garbage bin should do) and add some LC to see how it hold. That should at least give you an idea of what you are going to need to add. Keep in mind a lake is full of life, so you likely are going to go thru a lot of LC.

Are you going to replace filter and pump or use what comes with the pool?

An SWCG is on my list of future improvements... so much I can help there.

Did you already get a reliable test kit? Test Kits Compared

Can you fill your signature with details about your pool? Create Your Signature - Further Reading

I would have preferred rock crusher over gravel, which is hard to compact well.

What is your plan for testing and sanitizing the water?