to close or not to close....that is the question

Aug 30, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I am buying a house (finally) about 80 miles SW of OKC. I haven't been the area long and don't really know if I should have to pool closed and covered or leave it open. Last year, I had a pool (detail in my sig...which I will update soon) and I lived in Laurel, MS. I left the pool open all winter. Can I do that here? Does anyone know if freezing would be too much of an issue? In MS, I would run the pump a few hours each night. When it got below freezing, just a few times, I would leave the pump on.

LAWTONBOR124717R.jpg
n th

Congrats on finding a house with a pool! :goodjob: :cheers:

I'd look around the neighborhood if you can and see if surrounding houses have pools. Knock on the door, great excuse to meet the neighbors. :mrgreen:

Then you check the internet weather sites and see the temp averages. If they get long bouts of below near or below freezing temps you should consider covering. :wink:

You might consider getting an Intermatic freeze timer- (similar to what Leslie's is selling, but cheaper and longer warranty) senses the temps getting close to freezing and turns on the pump automatically. We went with that last year and it worked fine. Take it with you to your next house for your next pool.
This year may be colder and wetter so we will see. Oddly enough, most of my neighbors and friends thought I was crazy not to fully winterize the pool. The pool stores in our area are very good at selling winter stuff I guess.
But, I saw too many covers destroyed by winter winds and too many messes not to try going without it. I am glad I did, and now others in the area are following my lead. Of course, this may be a worse winter than usual, but we have a backup plan. Power outages are big issue on the Great Plains, even in big cities, so consider what you would do in that case, as well.

Since by the time we close on the house, we will be toward the middle of Nov. I pretty much have decided to request that the current owners take care of closing the pool, after inspection. I also asked that I be allowed to be present with the pool is closed. Turns out that the cover has a hole in it and the owners are not sure it's safe. My realtor says they will probably pay to have it repaired and he's done some calling around about it and got some place in OKC that repairs them. I looked at the average low temps for Dec-Feb on the NOAA website for our area and since I haven't been here during the winter yet, decided to go ahead and close it. Kind of sad to not be able to look out at it this winter through my big windows in my living room or upstairs from the sunroom.

my2kidsmom said:
Since by the time we close on the house, we will be toward the middle of Nov. I pretty much have decided to request that the current owners take care of closing the pool, after inspection. I also asked that I be allowed to be present with the pool is closed. Turns out that the cover has a hole in it and the owners are not sure it's safe. My realtor says they will probably pay to have it repaired and he's done some calling around about it and got some place in OKC that repairs them. I looked at the average low temps for Dec-Feb on the NOAA website for our area and since I haven't been here during the winter yet, decided to go ahead and close it. Kind of sad to not be able to look out at it this winter through my big windows in my living room or upstairs from the sunroom.

Ya know, I'm thinking closing might be the best thing as this is your first winter and you won't be there to watch things for a while. It can get pretty severe up that way in the panhandles for pretty extended periods. There is nothing between you and Canada to stop those "Blue Northers" blasting straight down, killing people and livestock caught out unprotected. We get them too with temps abruptly dropping 50 F or more. Even in the Dallas area, another half or full climate zone warmer than yours, I've lost some pipes/valves even with water running during a few, rare, freaky winters. I do protect pumping station better now and it is doable even up where you'll be but with this year's strange weather who knows what this winter will bring. One winter we had extended days hovering around 0 F. :shock: That is rare though. I lost more than pool equipment that winter mostly because most water/irrigation pipes are buried only about 6" - 8"where we are.

If you happen to watch Thanksgiving Day football. The weather is frequently "balmily" for those games in Texas Stadium. 1990 Miami/Dallas game called the TD "Snow Bowl" or "Ice Bowl II", or Leon Lett-"down" game is a great example of unusual. We used to always go in to Dallas for TD dinner with friends (some of us always sneaked off to watch the game) located about 25 miles north east of us. We were iced in and couldn't make it off our place for a few days. They thought we were lying as they had no ice/snow in Dallas. The old Copyboys Texas Stadium, that had a major ice/snow "blizzard" that day (Big opening in roof), was about 20 miles due west of our friends. That's a perfect example of "micro climates or zones". BTW.... X-mas Eve in '89 vs. the Packers is the day all the toilets froze at Texas Stadium...., pretty unusual weather. Our past two winters had very few freezing nights and few days in a row near or a little below freezing but a few nights into the mid-teens. Doing some more remembering .... in the late 70's we had an early ice/snow storm, in Dallas, that lasted several days, 10-12 days into Nov. 1980 we had burst pipes, in kitchen, west wall even with water running and cabinets open to let heat in. They burst above the counter behind backsplash in well heated kitchen. Year or two before that major ice storm crippled Dallas, lasting more than a week, with much of Dallas without eletricity for a week or more. We had gas in that house, thank doG.

So what is "usual" up or down the road can't be counted on even when the season is "normal". It's been unseasonably cool, down here for weeks. I'm thinking our, you're included, region may be in for a more severe winter than usual.

So, I, personally, think you are being very prudent even though you'll have to delay satisfaction a bit. It won't be very long though. You could conceivably open in March as long as you are prepared for a few freezing nights.

gg=alice

my2kidsmom said:
I am buying a house (finally) about 80 miles SW of OKC. I haven't been the area long and don't really know if I should have to pool closed and covered or leave it open. Last year, I lived in Laurel, MS & left the pool open all winter. Can I do that here?

I lived in OKC for 20 years and the number of days that the temperature is well below freezing, or even close to 10-15 degrees, in a "normal winter", whatever that is in OK, would wipe out most if not all pool equipment.

Unfortunately, I'm in the "close the pool for the winter" crowd. :pirat:

Next spring it'll be time to fix whatever hole there is...
Sorry for the bad news...

Thanks, I'm about an hour and a few from OKC down here in Lawton, where the song from the musical "Oklahoma" certain had alot of meaning to me now that I live here. I can't see the Bing commercial without say, "yep, that OK"! The wind is crazy here and it always blows. ALWAYS! I'll deal next season with learning how to DIY on the closing. I guess I'll have the same company open in the spring, but maybe not....:)

I'm in Edmond, just north of OKC. Since there's nothing but a fence line between us and the north pole, the winters here can be bitterly cold and sustained. When you throw in the winds (30mph north wind is a light normal breeze), pool covers have a tendancy to get destroyed easily. I half closed my pool last year and opened to a springtime swamp this year. This year following the wonderful folks here at TFP, I've closed my pool properly, but am not covering it (I'm on a wide open hill, with no trees around at all).
Good luck!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.