Polaris 360 swallows tail

poolhound

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2008
Elgin, SC
My Polaris 360 has started "swallowing its tail" 2 out of 3 times I run it. It works fine otherwise and would do this only 1 out of 20 times before. I cant think of any changes I have made. Anyone else have a hungry 360?

poolhound said:
My Polaris 360 has started pulling the sweephose up inside the body "swallowing its tail" 2 out of 3 times I run it. It works fine otherwise and would do this only 1 out of 20 times before. I cant think of any changes I have made. Anyone else have a hungry 360?

poolhound said:
My Polaris 360 has started "swallowing its tail" 2 out of 3 times I run it.
Isn't this an allegory from something out of the book of Revelations (in the bible)? :shock:

I have a Polaris 280 and I'm proud to state that at no time in my presence has it tried to eat its own tail.

However, there is a fix for this... an adjustment screw at the junction of the tail and the cleaner that can be tightened, restricting the sweeping motion of the tail, so that it should be nearly impossible for the tail to find its way to the underbody venturi jets. Try it!

Great Polyview, I'll try that.
Mine too started swallowing more often since the sponge has mostly broken away ( I don’t plan on replacing it unless I can rig a home-made one)

I lowered the pressure a tad & it swallows a lot less frequently

polyvue said:
poolhound said:
My Polaris 360 has started "swallowing its tail" 2 out of 3 times I run it.
Isn't this an allegory from something out of the book of Revelations (in the bible)? :shock:

I have a Polaris 280 and I'm proud to state that at no time in my presence has it tried to eat its own tail.

However, there is a fix for this... an adjustment screw at the junction of the tail and the cleaner that can be tightened, restricting the sweeping motion of the tail, so that it should be nearly impossible for the tail to find its way to the underbody venturi jets. Try it!

I like to keep my P-280 tail sweeping pretty fast and it has never swallowed its tail. Occasional water spraying out of pool is great entertainment for the puppies BUT :cry: that's why I've had to replace several whole P-280s when the dogs "rescue" and then "kill" the poor things. Expensive doggie toy. :shock: I've just about gotten the idea into the new puppies that the Polaris hose, vac hoses, Aquabot line, and PoolSkim ARE NOT TOYS. Very close to trusting them unattended now. :party:

gg=alice

Johnny B said:
Great Polyview, I'll try that.
Mine too started swallowing more often since the sponge has mostly broken away ( I don’t plan on replacing it unless I can rig a home-made one)

I lowered the pressure a tad & it swallows a lot less frequently

I make my own. I use green, non metal, furniture refinish pads about 8" X 6", cut in half or thirds length wise, wrapped around where the sponge fits, and secured with a small plastic tie. I'm not sure of the exact dimensions but I think I get three out of each pad. Cheap, Cheap and they last a long time. You can find the larger scrubby pads at just about any hardware store, paint section, usually several to a pack. The pads are probably around 1/8" or a little more in thickness. Also, there is a seller on eBay, who sells the sponges for a great price. I'm testing one now. I can look up his ID if needed.

I have had several P-280s since they came out (see reason in above post) and I can assure you that, contrary to what many experienced "pool people" will tell you, if you have a plaster pool, the end plastic left unprotected, where the sponge goes, will wear down to the point where it becomes non functional and may even make some marks. Keep those wear rings checked too. Also, I would be afraid of some kind of damage on vinyl pool from exposed hard end, but just guessing here. Personally I like the scrubbing action the tail "sponge" does on my older plaster; seems to make for less wall brushing. I don't plan to ever have algae, but with my newly-balanced-water-for-the-first-time in, ........ well I can't count back that much, :roll: some of the chalking is releasing from surfaces. Thank You TFP (I expect to see more of this when I do the AA treatment in a few days.)

My finish is old blue plaster, 13 yrs, (Those guys did a fabulous job; wish I could remember who they were.) still in great shape, but very CURED, so you might want to find a little bit less abrasive pad for other finishes or new plaster.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.