Spa light stopped working...even with new bulb

Dec 9, 2008
The light in my spa stopped working. I don't use the lights often, in fact, can't remember the last time I turned them on, probably months. Anyway, again I noticed the spa light out. So, I drained the spa, took out the screw holding the fixture in the niche and struggled with the si screws holding the trim ring on the fixtue. FInally got them all after feat of almost stripping one of them. The gasket was in rough shape but seemed to be working (yes, I replaced it.)

The bulb was definitely gone. There was black char visible inside the bulb obviously from when it saw its last moments. The entire bulb was noticeably darker in appearance.

Went to the local pool store, got a new bulb and gasket then came home and put it all back together. Hrumph. The light still isn't working.

The long cord looks a little rough as well. When I initially pulled the fixtrue out of the niche the cord was neatly wrapped around the fixture but I didn't think anything of it. Even put it back in that way. However now that it still isn't working I am paying closer attention to the cord and it looks almost like the cord/insulation is melted maybe? if you look at the attached picture you can see the curl in the cord and you can see a darker area after the first curl, then again later. This is the side that was against the fixture and is like that the whole way down.

Is it normal for the cord to be wrapped around the fixture or does it depend on the manufacturer, so my light maybe wasn't getting enough cooling? I attached a photo as a file, hopefully it can be viewed. Inside where the socket is looked OK but I was initially assuming it was a dead bulb.

Was was going to whip out the old volt meter and test for electricity in the socket but it started to rain so I figure better to wait for another day. The bulb looks good but I have not yet tested in in a regular lamp, nor have I tested another random, known good bulb in the fixture as well so I can't answer those questions just yet. The main pool light works fine.

Other than the bulb tests I mention above, assuming the bulb is good, any suggestions/guidance?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 34
I wouldn't take any chances; replace it. Way better safe than sorry; electricity and water (and more importantly, people in water!) don't mix!

The cord around the light is normal. It allows for you to take the light assembly out of the pool (or spa) and replace the bulb on the deck instead of in the water. That cord does look suspect though, and may have got hot. Did it blow the GFCI? Do you have a GFCI on it :shock: ?

The spa light and the pool light are entirely separate, so the pool light should continue to work just fine. They may be pulled to the same J-box, but they are separate.

Get a new light and pull it. You can use the old cord as a "fish" to pull the new cord. Not worth your safety (or your families) to try and save that one.

Bruce

OK, feel like an idiot here... As it turns out I simply didn't screw the bulb in all the way. :hammer:

I found out the hard way too, doing thinkgs backwards, and $18 less in my wallet because of it.

Took the lens off, put in a standard medium base bulb in the fixtrue until I felt resistance. Had my wife turn on the pool light and the pool light came on but no joy on the spa light. I then told her to go try the new $18 spa light bulb in the lamp she got the other bulb from. Process of elimination.

And the sound of the day was "POP" and the bulb is dead. Ugh. I did not pay attention to the fact that is was a 12V bulb and just blew the Crud out of it.

After that experience I got the multimeter out and had her turn the pool light back on. It was registering 12V AC.

Off to get another bulb but the only thing I can think of is that I just didn't screw the bulb into the socket far enough. I may try to bend the center tab up a little bit or see if the bulb turns past the resistance.

I fee stupid, but, hopefully won't make that mistake again.

A question I do still have is that if it is OK for the cord to be wrapped around the fixture? Seems the heat is melting the insulation (see the picture in my original post.) Or should I just coil it up and stuff it as best I can behind the fixture?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.