Open IG pool waterslide....What to do with when freezing?

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I understand that you can run the pump in freezing temps and prevent freezing but I still have a question. I have a waterslide that is fed by a pvc line with an inline valve. The valve is about 4 feet off the ground directly below the slide. (this is how you turn the water onto the slide)

So what should be done with this? Can't this pipe freeze with the water valve off or is there sufficient movement of the water since there is pressure up against the closed valve?

Thinkly said:
I have a waterslide that is fed by a pvc line with an inline valve. The valve is about 4 feet off the ground directly below the slide. Can't this pipe freeze with the water valve off or is there sufficient movement of the water since there is pressure up against the closed valve?
If I'm visualizing your setup correctly there is PVC pipe exposed to the air above ground near the slide... would seem to be a perfect candidate for freezing if you leave water in it. Recommend blowing it out, at minimum. The resident cold weather plumbing experts here may confirm -- or correct -- my opinion.

I assume it will need to be blown out, but my situation is that i have to wait till Oct. 30th for closing because that is my scheduled time with pool company. (I am a newbie.) So my question relates to the notion of leaving water circulating to prevent freezing. It doesn't seem like that would apply to this above ground pipe that does not have water flow unless the inline valve is on.

I suppose the obvious response would be to open the valve and let the water run down the slide but that could be troublesome seemingly. Some of the water doesn't fall into the pool and runs onto the pool deck, landscaping etc.

I cannot answer your freezing problems, but here might be a stop-gap solution to your slide water going all over the place:

My stepson built a pool a couple summers ago, and as an afterthought, installed a turbotwister slide (or something like that.) Since the deck had been poured without the slide in mind, it was angled very slightly away from the pool. So the slide was not installed at the proper angle, and therefore all the water coming down the slide did not reach the pool, but some sort of ran under the lip of the slide and fell on the deck. He stuck a plastic downspout thing under the slide so most of the water that originally missed the pool was redirected!

Thinkly said:
I assume it will need to be blown out, but my situation is that i have to wait till Oct. 30th for closing because that is my scheduled time with pool company. (I am a newbie.) So my question relates to the notion of leaving water circulating to prevent freezing. It doesn't seem like that would apply to this above ground pipe that does not have water flow unless the inline valve is on.

I suppose the obvious response would be to open the valve and let the water run down the slide but that could be troublesome seemingly. Some of the water doesn't fall into the pool and runs onto the pool deck, landscaping etc.
Sorry, I didn't think that you were talking about freeze protection during the next two weeks... even in north, north central KS surely you can get by for 15 days by just wrapping the pipe with insulation? If you decide to open the valve a bit, Mermaid Queen has an answer for that.

Can you disconnect the valve from the pipe and connect a hose to it and run it to the pool?

That way you can leave the valve open and all the water goes back into the pool. Prevents freezing and doesn't cause a hazard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.