HELP - I think my pump died!

May 2, 2008
I have an Astral Pools IGP2010 pool pump. This is the web page for the pump:

http://www.astralpoolusa.com/index....acturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=318

Anyway, tonight I noticed that the pump has stopped working. :grrrr: I imagine it's only been for a day or two at the most since I saw/heard the pump running on Sunday afternoon. I checked out the timer and it is getting electricity there, as the dial is moving. When I go to manually flip the switch at the timer to turn the pump on nothing happens. No sounds, no sparks, nothing.

Is it safe to assume the pump is dead? If not, what can I do to check it out.

If it is dead, can I just replace the pump motor (assuming that is the problem)? Or should I replace the whole unit. Obviously, just replacing the motor would be cheaper. :-D

Also, how long should a pump last?

It could be something as simple as the contacts on the timer being burnt. Especially since you hear no sound at all. I hope it's that simple. If it's a plug in model you can just unplug the pump and plug it into a receptacle to check it.

The contacts on the timer appears fine and not burnt. The timer is working in the sense that the dial is turning when I go to check it it is at the right time. When I flip the on/off switch on the timer nothing happens. I guess I could wire the pump directly to the electrical wiring and see if it comes on when I flip the breaker back on.

Does this approach make sense or sounds reasonable?

If it ends not starting should I buy a just a motor or just replace the whole pump?

I know it's cheaper to just buy the motor but if the rest of it is prone to fail then I guess I should look into replacing the whole pump.

Bama Rambler said:
If your pump is relatively new (less than 4 or 5 years) and all the other parts are good I'd just replace the motor.

We bought the house in early 2005. The pool was built sometime in 2001-2002 but I don't know if they used a new pump or reused a pump from somewhere else.

Yes, you can hook the pump directly to the feed lines on the timer (ie. directly to power), and see if the pump comes on when you turn on the breaker.

If it does not come on, then I'd just replace the motor and not the entire pump, with one exception - you are sure you did not run the pump dry.

fordsbyjay said:
Put your hand on it and see if it is hot. I took mine to a local electric motor repair shop and they can test/fix it for usually less than a new pump. I would try that first.

If it's warm/hot but isn't running does it mean the motor is shot since it obviously getting electricity to heat it up? How about if it stays cool to the touch? Also, if you remove the motor to have repaired or replaced do you have to replace any seals etc.?

lborne said:
Yes, you can hook the pump directly to the feed lines on the timer (ie. directly to power), and see if the pump comes on when you turn on the breaker.

If it does not come on, then I'd just replace the motor and not the entire pump, with one exception - you are sure you did not run the pump dry.
Thanks! I figured I'd try that second after seeing if the motor gets hot but doesn't run. The pump shouldn't have been ran dry since the water level is high in the pool and the pump basket etc. is loaded with water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That still does not mean it is the timer. The best bet is to check the power output with a meter. At least that is what I'd do to verify it is the timer before taking the motor off and bringing it to a shop. If you don't have a meter you can use a hair dryer that has a 220V setting to check 220V lines. If you are not comfortable with electricity, and it seems you might not be, then as they say - Don't try this at home. 220 is serious.

SCpoolOwner said:
I have an Astral Pools IGP2010 pool pump. This is the web page for the pump:

http://www.astralpoolusa.com/index....acturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=318

Anyway, tonight I noticed that the pump has stopped working. :grrrr: I imagine it's only been for a day or two at the most since I saw/heard the pump running on Sunday afternoon. I checked out the timer and it is getting electricity there, as the dial is moving. When I go to manually flip the switch at the timer to turn the pump on nothing happens. No sounds, no sparks, nothing.

Is it safe to assume the pump is dead? If not, what can I do to check it out.

If it is dead, can I just replace the pump motor (assuming that is the problem)? Or should I replace the whole unit. Obviously, just replacing the motor would be cheaper. :-D

Also, how long should a pump last?

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to electricity. When opening the pool for the season, my pump made a funny noise when I first turned it on and it tripped the breaker. I tried it again with the same result. I took the whole unit to a guy who fixes motors. He got it back to me in about 3 hours for under $100 and it ran fine for the rest of the season. He's a pool owner also, and was going on vacation so was happy to get the cash that day. Before finding him (google search), I'd called a motor repair place also; they estimated $120 and a week turn-around. I also checked Amazon.com for the entire unit as well as just the pump, and also checked craigslist to see if anyone had the same-sized unit in the event that it couldn't be fixed. Maybe one of those solutions will work for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.