Thread Display Mode

Apr 28, 2017
Westerly RI
When I click (or tap) on a thread, it opens up to the last post instead of the first post.
I have my setting to “oldest first” but it doesn’t show that way for some reason.
662C6B89-C8B1-44AE-9859-868496747489.jpg
Is there another setting I’m missing somewhere?

Most of my browsing on this forum is on my iPhone X...running iOS 11.4.1

I've found this to be device specific. When I click on a new post on my laptop, I get that thread's first post, even if the new post is pages later. Unless the thread has multiple pages, and I click on one of the page buttons, then I get the first post of that page, but still not scrolled down to the newest post.

But when I click on a new post on my iPhone or iPad, I get the new post. And I think I've seen that not work like that, intermittently.

So I think its the way the interface is coded, and slightly different from device to device. I haven't found a setting that controls that behavior. And I haven't tried other browsers to see if its a browser thing.

It's not consistent, whatever it's doing...

Dirk is soooooo close to what he's found, but missing one key item. One item he's "testing" with is a desktop/laptop while the other is a phone. The mobile difference is the "kicker" in this case, and we will be making some changes in the winter to further improve this and bring some consistency.

There are two different area's when you click you may end up at. On one it takes you to the first post of the entire thread while the other takes you to the first UNREAD post of the thread. The Unread post depends on your cookies and what you've read in the past. On a desktop/laptop when you click on the title it's set to take you to the first post in the entire thread BUT if you click on the little arrow looking thing next to a thread's title it takes you to the first unread post. On mobile however this logic is flipped as it's very difficult to click on the little arrow thing on small devices.

Again, we are planning on some changes over the winter to continue to merge mobile and desktop users into one on TFP as it's ALOT trickier than one may think.......and the issue you're seeing is part of it.

Oh, cool. I never tried to click that arrow-button before. It's not on my subscriptions list, though, which is what I use a lot.

So the two different links (button and title) must have been why, on mobile, I was not always ending up in the same place. Big fingers must have clicked one one time and the other another time.

Looking forward to this new and improved version!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, wait. They are on the subscriptions lists, too. Just not on the threads you just visited, which makes sense. I'll get the hang of it, eventually! ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.