Greetings from Sonyak

sonyak

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Hello fellow pool owners.
My name is quite obviously Sonya. I'm not great at coming up with creative user names, so Sonyak will have to do. LOL
I live in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. Yes, it's cold here right now. No snow yet, but it's about 5 degrees above freezing, so in my books, it's close enough.
I recently tore down my old bungalow to build a new wheelchair accessible house for my 11 year old son.
The new house comes complete with an indoor therapy pool and spa, which has made my son incredibly happy. :party:
While I am new to an indoor pool, I am not new to owning a pool.
I grew up with a pool, and the task of maintaining it was mine alone. I didn't do a bad job, for a kid who was between the ages of 10 and 16 at the time.
We have yet to move into our new house, and the pool is not completely functional yet, but I have started my research into proper pool maintenance early, to ensure we have a "trouble free pool" from the get go. :)
I just ordered the TF100 test kit, and should be receiving it before the end of the month, which is convenient, since that's when we're expected to move into the new house. I'll probably need some help with the chemistry side of things, and understanding how to make sure the pool is well balanced, etc, but I guess that's what you're all here for...
Thanks for "listening", and I hope to "talk" to some of you soon.

~Sonya~

Hi, Sonya,

Welcome. Yes, indoor pools have their own special set of parameters but there are enough of us here to help you get started correctly from the beginning.

The best thing you've done is prepare early. Post some test results when you get access and you'll get lot's of great help.

Welcome Sonya! (again) :wave:

We actually have a member who has an indoor therapy pool!!! ... and she can probably give lots of good personal advice.

So glad to hear that your son is incredibly happy!

Members will be around to help you balance your pool :-D....just post those q's in Chem 201 forum :wink:

We are glad to have you!

Welcome Sonya!

Well, you're going to get help here -- and generate envy from those of us who wouldn't dream of swimming mid-winter. Perhaps you can describe the experience for us in a few months so we can all swim vicariously and dream of May and June water...

:-D

Welcome aboard. I’m green with envy or did I just drink too much pool water.
Any who, you will get lots of help from this site and it is a very professional and family friendly forum. I have been very impressed with it since I joined.
:goodjob:

Sonya, welcome to TFP!!

You have come to the BEST!! site to help you maintain your pool!!!!!!!

As you realize, there will be some ~slightly different advice for caring for an indoor pool as opposed to an outdoor pool - the info is here and the folks who have given it in the past don't mind reiterating it for you :-D

You'll want a little ~ 20ppm cya and use PMS if you need to shock. This will keep that 'indoor chlorinated pool smell' to a minimum :wink:

What kind of filter will you have?

I'm very happy your son will have his therapy pool :goodjob: (and you'll get to enjoy it too :party: )

waste said:
You'll want a little ~ 20ppm cya and use PMS if you need to shock. This will keep that 'indoor chlorinated pool smell' to a minimum :wink:

What kind of filter will you have?

I have a Sta-Rite System 3 Modular Media Filter. I've never seen a filter as big as this one. :) It takes 2 of us to lift it out of the container...

I've read the pool school stuff, but please remind me, what is 20ppm cya and what is PMS?
I have a SWG, and I thought that using that would keep the chlorine pool smell to a minimum. Is this an incorrect assumption?

sonyak said:
I've read the pool school stuff, but please remind me, what is 20ppm cya and what is PMS?

20 ppm cya = Twenty parts per million Cyanuric Acid (CYA). The recommended level for an indoor pool.

PMS = Potassium Monopersulfate. a non-chlorine shock often used in stand-alone hot tubs and indoor pools. I believe this product is an anti-oxidant, so is supplemental to chlorine (sanitizer)

I have a SWG, and I thought that using that would keep the chlorine pool smell to a minimum. Is this an incorrect assumption?

The smell usually attributed to excessive chlorine is often a high level of CC (combined chlorine or chloramines) -- which is not as effective a sanitizer as is FC (Free chlorine). You can measure both FC and CC with a good test kit. The SWG produces hypochlorous acid (once combined with water) and this is an excellent chlorine source because it can continously supply chlorine (as long as the pump is running) to your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support