Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water hardness Climbing

1. Back To Top    #1

Water hardness Climbing

I am confused, the pool CH is reading at 475 and seems to be climbing, the CH on the water source to the auto-fill when tested on its own is 100. Whats going on here, could the water be picking up Calcium from the pool?

TA-100
    CC-0
    FC-3.5
    CH-475
    PH-7.6
    CYA-40
    15 X 28, 12,000 Gallon, (IG) Freeform Dark Gray Plaster/Gunite with attached 10 X 7 Spa raised 18", 7 Jet with Spillover and Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto, Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 for Pool, 2 HP Whisperflo for Waterfall/Grotto, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge 320, Pentair 400K BTU Matstertemp, Pentair EasyTouch 4P, Pentair Suction Side PoolShark Cleaner, Stenner pump, autofill system, Plumbed for future Solar, TF-Testkit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water hardness Climbing

When water evaporates, only the water evaporates. The calcium doesn't, it stays in the pool. Then the auto-fill kicks in and puts some water (with a bit more calcium) into the pool. So over time, the total amount of calcium will go up.

It is also possible that you're picking up some calcium from the plaster, especially if it's new (< 1 yr old), but the main culprit is the fill water.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

Hey Paul,
    Thanks for the response, the pool is just a year old this month so that seems to be where the climb in CH is coming from. Do you think I should be concerned and do a partial drain/fill?
    TRW
    15 X 28, 12,000 Gallon, (IG) Freeform Dark Gray Plaster/Gunite with attached 10 X 7 Spa raised 18", 7 Jet with Spillover and Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto, Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 for Pool, 2 HP Whisperflo for Waterfall/Grotto, Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge 320, Pentair 400K BTU Matstertemp, Pentair EasyTouch 4P, Pentair Suction Side PoolShark Cleaner, Stenner pump, autofill system, Plumbed for future Solar, TF-Testkit.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Do you think I should be concerned and do a partial drain/fill?
    Probably not. Many pools function normally at CH levels higher than yours. If it were my pool, I would simply remind my self to keep pH and TA not higher than where they are right now.....7.6 and 100.

I would also remind myself to check all three of those parameters a little more frequently to make sure none of them get out of hand.

You should get some rainwater refill over the winter and far less evaporation so the CH may come back down on it's own.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School