Natural Pools

TomAtlanta

Sep 10, 2011
Atlanta Ga
I know this is not the focus of this message board, but I am curious if anyone here has any experience with natural pools, where you use a system with plants to clean and filter the water. I am just starting to think about this.

Building a Natural Pond from a Swimming Pool Ep 1 - YouTube

Looks to be at least four episodes. Didn't watch 'em, but it'll get you started...

If this is what you're contemplating, ya gotta document it here. It'd be so cool, to do and to watch!

- - - Updated - - -

Ya gotta watch at least at marker 4:24. "It's as clear as a normal swimming pool." Hilarious.

I'm feeling pretty enthusiastic about it as long as it isn't too expensive. There is a pool company here in Atlanta that has done several of these. I will definitely document it here. I want to still be able to swim laps.

Are you thinking about converting your existing pool? From what I have seen you have a couple of connected ponds to do the filtering and they have to be sized according to the size of the actual swimming pool. Space may be an issue if you want to swim laps.

As to the lady holding up the glass of pond water, yep as clear as any non-TFP swimming pool. I wouldn't drink it!

What is the point of a natural pool? What is the reason to want a pool that is not sanitary and you hope the natural filtration keeps it clear and safe to swim in? How do you check to assure that the water is safe to swim in?

If you take proper care of a chlorine pool it is clear, safe, comfortable, and easy to care for. What is missing from that equation that a "natural pool" brings to a table?

What is the point of a natural pool? What is the reason to want a pool that is not sanitary and you hope the natural filtration keeps it clear and safe to swim in? How do you check to assure that the water is safe to swim in?

If you take proper care of a chlorine pool it is clear, safe, comfortable, and easy to care for. What is missing from that equation that a "natural pool" brings to a table?

Frogs?

What was that ol' joke? A swimming pool, a pond and a natural pool walk into a bar...

I'm all for the pool-to-pond makeover, swimming in it is a whole 'nother matter.

There were a lot of natural pools here in AZ during the housing debacle. The towns would drop fish into the abandoned pools to control algae and that awfull swamp smell. I know mine used to be one back then.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The thing is... the nasty critters, especially humans!

If you're the only one swimming in the pool, then maybe you could feel comfortable and safe doing so. Maybe you could create a self contained eco system that would be responsive enough to counteract what your body introduces into the water (things that you and others would not want to swim though, or get in their mouth). What about the other critters that will be introducing their own variety of nasties? Raccoon excrement can be especially dangerous to humans. Fish and frogs don't get out to use the little fishy's room! And a lot of humans don't either! In a large pond or lake, there is water to dilute such things, and lots of organisms to "filter" such things. But in the confined volume of a pool, without being able to visually inspect what is in your water (more accurately: without being able to visually confirm that there is nothing nasty in your water), and without chlorine to assure you that no nasty things too small to see await you, how could you ever feel safe in the water? So maybe you could engineer this pond to be usually safe to swim in, but if some awful organic event occurs (like a dead animal), without chlorine, you're gunna jump right in and expose your skin and innards to who knows what, without even knowing you did. You can easily test to determine there is enough chlorine in a pool to ward off most anything dangerous to humans. And chlorine is fast. But you can't easily test for the actual things that are dangerous to humans. See what I mean? I think all those YouTube folks promoting their natural pools are conveniently leaving that out.

Not to mention it is not particularly safe to allow swimmers into a pool when you can't see the bottom.

I like the pond idea. The natural pool idea. Just not swimming in it.

Doesn't water temperature play a part, too? Aren't all those horrible nasties worse in warmer water, or do water plants counteract that somehow? Are the 'successful' natural pools in much cooler climates? (but then who wants to swim in 65 degree water?)

I know there have been reports of fishermen or swimmers getting flesh eating bacteria in the warm shallow waters of the Gulf near Houston. Not many cases, but I don't care how few cases. I don't want to risk that.

Doesn't water temperature play a part, too? Aren't all those horrible nasties worse in warmer water, or do water plants counteract that somehow? Are the 'successful' natural pools in much cooler climates? (but then who wants to swim in 65 degree water?)

I know there have been reports of fishermen or swimmers getting flesh eating bacteria in the warm shallow waters of the Gulf near Houston. Not many cases, but I don't care how few cases. I don't want to risk that.

Excellent point. The smaller the body of water, the warmer it'll be (in the summer, anyway). Another natural "defense" a lake or large pond has over a swimming pool...

OK, you guys have done a good job giving me a healthy fear of this idea. I know a young woman who lost both hands and both feet to a drug resistant flesh eating bacteria she got swimming in a north Georgia creek about 2 hours from here. I guess I really do need to think about this more carefully. Probably a frog pond separate from the swimming pool would be a better idea.

I was going to suggest a separate body of water for your natural pool. That could become a really special component of your landscaping. It'll be interesting to see if the frogs allow you a say in which pool they'll use!! ;)

Probably a frog pond separate from the swimming pool would be a better idea.
When it comes to water, what is good for you and what is good for a frog are not the same. Most of the ideas behind a natural pool are somewhat sound, though in practice pulling them off properly is far from a sure thing. And with no easy way to measure whether you have successfully created a safe swimming environment it is not something I would recommend to anybody I know.

A frog-approved water feature in your yard and making sure frogs have an easy way out of your sanitized pool sounds like the best options for everyone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.