Pool overflow with rain

Jul 2, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I am here in Sacramento area getting pounded with rain. First since we bought house back in May. I assumed there was an overflow line (looks like a return that has a white piece of pvc connected protruding out of the grass about 2ftfrom the edge of the pool). What if that is not what I thought it was? The water level is just at the opening of the suspected overflow tube. If the water doesn't drain, is it OK to let pool overflow?

tedinelkgrove said:
I am here in Sacramento area getting pounded with rain. First since we bought house back in May. I assumed there was an overflow line (looks like a return that has a white piece of pvc connected protruding out of the grass about 2ftfrom the edge of the pool). What if that is not what I thought it was? The water level is just at the opening of the suspected overflow tube. If the water doesn't drain, is it OK to let pool overflow?
Tell me about the weather! (See ok-now-you-can-laugh-t17658.html)

When my new pool was finished and filled, I checked the overflow pipes (2 were installed) with a garden hose -- both of them had been dead-ended into concrete/dirt by the subs, so they were non-functional. Pool builder had one of them chiseled and dug out (from beneath the deck) so now have that one tied into my drainage system. It's been needed only a couple of times. Today was one of them.

Though my pool has never overflowed from top of coping, if it did the water would travel to a deck-o-drain on the patio or off the sides and be captured eventually by one or more of the surrounding landscape drains. If for whatever reason you think the water would flow into your house, you might want to get out there today (before dark) and test your overflow pipe as I did.

good luck

I can't read your link. The rain is crazy. I drove to Roseville and back to EG this morning. What a nightmare.

Thanks for the fast reply. My patio drain should handle it if it overflows. I guess I can always drain some water at the filter tank on side of house.

Do I need to test water tonight or just wait until the storm is over tomorrow evening. Not sure how much my numbers will be affected by all this rain.

tedinelkgrove said:
I can't read your link.

Sorry. This was in the TFP supporters forum, I've e-mailed it to you... check your Private Mail (PM)

Do I need to test water tonight or just wait until the storm is over tomorrow evening. Not sure how much my numbers will be affected by all this rain.

I plan to wait until the storm is over... but DID go out in the rain an hour ago to empty pump filter and skimmer baskets, pool cleaner bag and net the leaves, etc from the water. The pump filter basket is already full again and is cavitating somewhat, but I ain't gonna go out again until I'm dried off from my first foray into this storm. :evil:

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to getting home tonight, having to go out in the downpour and start pumping to waste. Hope the cover hasn't floated away... or been blow away. :shock: And I just topped 'er off like, two weeks ago. :roll:
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.