Overwhelmed - Fiberglass Quote Attached- Your thoughts?

Jun 13, 2018
Irmo, SC
Hi All,

I'm moving this to the Under Construction section because I think it's a better place for it.

First, thanks for this forum and I'm so glad I found it! I know this has been discussed before, but since there are new advances in gunite and fiberglass all the time, I wanted to ask again.

We've gotten quotes on both fiberglass and gunite. Fiberglass was $45,000; gunite was $50,000 (everything included in both quotes). 4ft shallow and 6ft deep end, 15x34

I prefer the look of gunite but the smooth surface and claim of lower maintenance (in both money and time) for fiberglass are VERY appealing. We're leaning heavily toward fiberglass but would love to hear your thoughts. It's a lot of money for us!

Here are my questions:

1) If both pools will use a SWG, does gunite still require more chemicals or $$$ for electricity than fiberglass on a monthly basis?

2) Gunite guy said his pools don't need to be replastered for 20-25 years if you take proper care of the water. I've read every 7-10 years. This pool contractor is very respected. What's been your experience?

3) If you have fiberglass with waterline tile, how has it held up? Would you do it again?

4). Has anyone been an owner to both fiberglass and gunite? How does the maintenance compare in time and money?

5). I've attached the quote for the fiberglass pool which is what we are leaning towards. Are we missing equipment that would be helpful? Any other feedback is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Christine

Attachments

• InkedFiberglass Quote_LI.jpg
    InkedFiberglass Quote_LI.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 162
Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

I have a fiberglass pool and have never had a gunite pool.

The only real reduction in chemical use with a fiberglass pool is at start up. A gunite pool needs more acid additions at start up to combat high pH due to the curing of the concrete. You may also need some calcium added if your water is low in calcium. But after that, no difference.

We have waterline tile and like it as our water is hard and we have to combat calcium scale.

The fiberglass does have aesthetic issues eventually. It can get spider cracks, gel coat discoloration, and eventually oxidation that creates a white haze. That haze is not real visible with water in the pool but it does make the shell appear dull versus when it was new.

With a SWCG I would insist on a variable speed pump. I would also consider a cartridge filter as backwashing a sand filter messes up your salt levels and you may have issues on were the salt water that is backflushed goes.

I would take a look at the payment schedule shown. Awfully big pre-payments. Puts you in a tough spot if contractor does not perform.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

Fiberglass and concrete each have pros and cons. Fiberglass cons can be crazing/cracking of the gelcoat finish, slippery surface, blistering of gelcoate, fixed shape (although there are many of them), etc, etc. Gunite cons can be staining of plaster, more care with pool chemistry, a little more expensive initial cost, etc etc.

Agree with comment above re: payments. 40% deposit is high. Second payment is usually when pool is filled. Final payment when you are completely satisfied everything is done. DON'T make final payment until all work is complete! If the PB doesn't like this last point, that's a BIG red flag - you might want to find a different builder.

In both cases the installers are the important thing.....if the ground prep is not done the proper way the fiberglass pool can crack. If the gunite and plaster are not done the proper way your pool surface can be messed up.

If you follow the TFP water care both of them can last a good long time!

Kim:kim:

Keith,
One of my major concerns is the cost to replaster the gunite down the road. Do you mind sharing how old your pool is and if you've had to replaster yet? Is the bottom still smooth?

I've read the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and feel pretty confident I'd be able to maintain the water properly (spoken like a true newbie, right?).

Thanks for all your responses! I thought that payment schedule was too favorable to the PB. Thanks for confirming.

Also, thanks for the tip on the cartridge filter... I had no idea about the backwashing issue. Easy maintenance is a high priority for us.

Keith,
One of my major concerns is the cost to replaster the gunite down the road. Do you mind sharing how old your pool is and if you've had to replaster yet? Is the bottom still smooth?

Replastering a gunite pool can cost $8,000 - $15,000 depending on your location, finish and scope of work. Will it need tile repairs? Will old plaster be chipped out?

I have replastered two pools. Both lasted about 17 years.

Lots of things can happen to a pool over the years that can affect the life of the plaster. Many variables not under your control. My current pool needed to be redone because of a chip in the deep end that exposed rebar that was rusting. Pool company guess was that lightning hit the pool and caused the chip. Who knows. Stuff happens.

I think you roll the dice equally with the maintenance needs of a fiberglass pool or a gunite pool. I don't think one is substantially superior over the other. They have different issues.

- - - Updated - - -

In both cases the installers are the important thing..... If the gunite and plaster are not done the proper way your pool surface can be messed up.

Problem is that in many areas gunite and plaster work are subcontracted out. What is really important is how well the pool builder will stand behind the work of his subcontractors.

I bought a house with a pool 5 years ago from the original owner. It was built in 1973 and replastered in 1998. I did a full sandblast down to bare concrete and a replaster in 2015 (it could have waited a few years but the company that closed my pool the previous season messed it up and the plaster delaminated over the winter). I spent about $10K on the job. Nobody's guaranteeing a lifespan but there's no reason I won't get 20 years out of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.