Suggestion - Indoor pool section

sonyak

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
I have recently built a new house, and installed an indoor swimming pool and hot tub in the house. It's really the only practical way to go about getting a year round pool when you live in Ontario Canada...
I'm finding it difficult to find tips, etc on how to maintain an indoor pool. Is there a section that is related to indoor pool care, and I'm just missing it?
I think we have different issues related to caring for an indoor pool, and it might be a good idea to have a section for this.
Thoughts and suggestions are welcome. :-D
On a side note, I have yet to swim in the pool, but I'm hopeful that I will get to do that in the next week or so, and move into my new house by the end of the month. It's a big thrill to be able to swim in October in Canada.

~Sonya~

sonyak said:
I have recently built a new house, and installed an indoor swimming pool and hot tub in the house. It's really the only practical way to go about getting a year round pool when you live in Ontario Canada...
I'm finding it difficult to find tips, etc on how to maintain an indoor pool. Is there a section that is related to indoor pool care, and I'm just missing it?
I think we have different issues related to caring for an indoor pool, and it might be a good idea to have a section for this.
Hello Sonya... Welcome to TFP! :-D :)

In so many ways an indoor pool can be treated as an outdoor pool. There are a few differences... I don't think the chlorine/CYA table would apply; I'm not even sure you would want CYA added to an indoor pool (others here will correct me if I'm wrong on this.) A number of people on this board have an indoor pool and probably the best way to access information specifically regarding them is to use the built-in Google search (specify "indoor pool") at the lower left of this page. You can also post back here with any questions you have. Congratulations on your new house & pool!

:google:

• EDIT Re: CYA addition to indoor pool water. Please note comments below by PaulR and chem geek. END EDIT
    edited by Greg 10/14/2009 1:50 AM PDT

Hi sonyak and welcome :wave:

Yep, what polyvue said, and posts pertaining to indoor pools should be found/posted in the Chemistry 201 forum.

I think I speak correctly when I say that we do not have enough indoor pool q's for it to warrant its own forum. :cry:

Also, use the google (bottom left) to help find related indoor info.

Post any questions in the Chem 201 forum and you will soon get help :-D

Thanks for the tips. I will check out the Chemistry 201 section, and try the search.
So far, I've discovered that there are a lot of very helpful people on the site.
I'm so happy I found it. I think it will make owning the pool a much easier task, especially if I take the tips I've been reading and apply them from the very beginning. :whoot:

An indoor pool would in some respects have the same considerations as a spa that is covered (almost) all the time. In particular, CYA in the 20-30ppm range makes it easier to manage an appropriate FC level. And based on a horror story I remember reading earlier this year, I think you want to make sure you have adequate ventilation in the pool room. Those are the only things that occur to me, but more experienced hands might have other tips.
--paulr

I'd shoot for 4 ppm FC with 20 ppm CYA, but not a lower FC/CYA than 3 ppm FC with 30 ppm CYA. You want a higher active chlorine level in an indoor pool since there is no sunlight to help breakdown or accelerate the oxidation of bather waste. On the other hand, if you have no CYA at all, as is usually recommended by the pool industry for indoor pools, then the chlorine would be too strong (in Europe using the German DIN 19643 standard they don't use CYA, but have the FC be 0.3 to 0.6 ppm and use activated carbon filters to remove all chlorine and chloramines and re-add chlorine with each filtration pass). It is not practical to have 0.2 ppm FC with no CYA which would be equivalent to the 4 ppm FC with 20 ppm CYA I recommend.

Other than that, the other water parameters can be set according to the normal recommendations.

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.