High FC with new TFP test kit

Jul 3, 2007
Maryland
I just received my TFP Test kit. I tested the FC twice and my results are off the chart [high]-orange. PH at 7.2. The day prior I got a computer analysis and FC tested at 2.45 . My pump was running 24 hours with the tri-chlor pucks in the skimmer baskets while waiting the 30 days from initial fil to activate my swcg. I put the pucks in a floater and as of 8pm last night will have the pump running 8am to 8pm (my service dept. stated to do so after 2 weeks).

Should I expect the FC to go down with the floater method?
Is this unsafe for swimmers?
Is running the pump 12 hours ok after 2 weeks (indoc was actually on 7-2-07?

grivera said:
I just received my TFP Test kit. I tested the FC twice and my results are off the chart [high]-orange. PH at 7.2. The day prior I got a computer analysis and FC tested at 2.45 . My pump was running 24 hours with the tri-chlor pucks in the skimmer baskets while waiting the 30 days from initial fil to activate my swcg. I put the pucks in a floater and as of 8pm last night will have the pump running 8am to 8pm (my service dept. stated to do so after 2 weeks).

Should I expect the FC to go down with the floater method?
Is this unsafe for swimmers?
Is running the pump 12 hours ok after 2 weeks (indoc was actually on 7-2-07?
grivera,
Use the rest of that kit today and post your results. Since your Cl is high on the OTO test, run the FAS/DPD to find out how much Cl you really have in your pool.

Disregard the pool store test......"they ain't right!"

The pucks are probably just fine but you should run a CYA test and post that level. I believe your FC will diminish since you put the pucks in a floater but you should test it frequently to see if it's doing what you expect.

Running the pump for 12 hours sounds fine. As you learn about your pool, you will be able to judge a run-time that suits you and your pool best.

Congrats on your new pool!!! Swim every chance you get!! :lol: :lol:

Opinions vary but I wouldn't hesitate to swim....that's what pools are for (post your FAS/DPD results first to be safe)

Those numbers look good.

You are getting towards the point where you will want to switch over from pucks to bleach. You need to decide what CYA level you are aiming for and be ready to switch over when you get there. For a SWG you typically aim for a CYA level of 60-80, but check your manual to see what the manufacturer recommends.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.