If you have no aeration, then your TA should not change

dschlic1

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2007
Valrico, FL
Perhaps I have an unpopular position, but with a SWCG system, if you have no aeration, then your TA should not change. There was a discussion a year or so ago about why SWCG system have an increasing pH. Many took the position that the pH increase was from aeration due to the hydrogen bubbles. I then pointed out that if that was the case then why didn't the TA change?

Aeration does not affect the TA at all. Aeration raises the PH, without changing the TA.

Adding acid lowers both PH and TA.

What typically happens, is that aeration raises the PH, so you add acid to get the PH back to where it started. The net effect is that the PH does not change, but the TA goes down. However, if you skip the acid, and use aeration alone, the TA will not change (but PH will probably go up).

I'm missing the point here. As Jason noted, if one has rising pH in an SWG pool and adds acid to maintain that pH, then the TA goes down over time (unless one has a lot of evaporation and refill with fill water with TA). What is the specific scenario you are trying to explain?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.