Lowering pool water causes loose liner

May 22, 2009
I'm starting my pool closing for the first time. I see the suggestion to lower the pool below the skimmer. In doing so I'm noticing the vinyl liner in the sidewalls starting to wrinkle. Is this normal? Will it take shape again once the water is returned?

It sounds like you have a high water table in your area, you need to keep as much water in your pool as possible. To winterize you pool keep your water level at normal running level and use either an Aquador to block off your skimmer for winterizing or a gizzmo with a blow through tube. When blowing out your returns one person will need to operate the blower as the other caps off the returns.

Welcome to TFP!!

Once again, Kevin has proven himself to be an "X-pert" :)

There are a couple ways to manage the closing when you have to keep the water up, to prevent the ground water from 'pushing' the liner around. With a few more details about your pool, we can suggest the best way to do it :cool:

What other details might you need?

I have an IGP with 2 returns, 1 skimmer and 1 main drain. I have a sand filter and vinyl liner. My cover is a loop loc safety cover.

I did fill the pool back up to half way up the skimmer and noticed the liner go back into place minus a small wrinkle now in the shallow end floor.

Sounds like you did the correct thing :goodjob: If you'd used your pool brush on the wrinkles as the pool was refilling, you might not have ended up with any :eek: .

In the future, close the pool with the water up, only dump as much water as it takes to thoroughly backwash the filter. Return lines can be plugged underwater, just make sure air is blowing through the line when you plug it (yes... you WILL get wet :rant: ) For the skimmer, you can either get a 'blow through' Gizzmo and blow from the equipment pad or use a piece of cardboard to seal the skimmer mouth and blow back to the pad at the skimmer (there are a couple of little tricks to doing it this way that I'll share with you if you go that route :wink: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.