fiberglass or concrete/plaster for resurfacing in Nor. Cal.

taekwondodo said:
I never called him... as I noticed the "lack" of info on his site on contact/references/etc... and, espescially after reading this thread. I have a few customers that are "due" for a re-plaster, and would really love someone to recommend come this spring.

- Jeff

I would try and see if Adams Pool Solutions (Tony Adams) is servicing your area for re-plaster work. Tony is a stand up guy and would do a great job for you or your customers.

Its great to see some testimonials on this site about the longevity of "plaster" pools. Its a great smoooth user friendly finish.

I don't know about the west coast market but plaster on the east coast has historically been made of limestone and portland cement. Silca and quartz are fundamentally the same and were added to the plaster mixes in the 90's under the name of Diamond Brite when they started using ceramic coated silica provided by the shingle industry. The % of ceramic coated silca in the mix is very low and the majority of the aggregate is still limestone. Because "plaster" historically has been the most widely used and longest lasting finish in the pool industry it has come under attack by many products that claim but have yet to prove they can be more desireable and durable. Fiberglas came out claiming 25 year warranties, the quartz/silca companies use the hardness scale argument as do the pebble finishes but none to present have the history to back up the claims of a well plastered limestone finish.

Re: fiberglass or concrete/plaster for resurfacing in Nor. C

ok... So I am searching the web for the ultimate answer to the question on this specific forum and I don't know how long ago it was put on but. Here goes. I have seen the discussion of the type of plaster, whats in it, shoot on fiberglass, some special technic of applying fiberglass....

We have a condo with a pool in Seattle that needs a resurface bad. it was built in about 91 I think. Pool is only open for about 4 months a year. The tiles are falling off and its not just thin but I can actually see the concrete underneath on the bottom. I have only found one company that does fiberglass in the area and they are our current pool company that has been around for about 50 years, literally. I have 2 bids so far and need 1 more. The fiberglass is cheeper and they are going to come in and sandblast, work under "dome" so they can have proper conditions, and use a spray type of installation. Our pool guy loves fiberglass and says they have a really small failure rate. The warranty looks really appealing compared to 1 year for plaster. (5 years materials 2 years labor). Oraginly I wanted to go with a more "Rhino lining" type surface but Most of the people I talk to up here says the failure rate is too high and wont do it.

Not talking original... for a resurface, which is better Fiberglass or plaster?

I have yet to see a F/G laminate last. Invariably, they bubble, have a tougher time having stains removed, need refinishing as the epoxy wears, and so on.

While plain plaster lasts about 8-12, year, depending on the care taken and application process used, there are also plaster type finishes that last far longer that use a higher percentage of aggregates that are much harder than the limestone or marble dust used in plaster. While these finishes cost more initially, they last far longer, come in more colors, and can be treated more aggressively to remove stains without impacting their durability or life expectancy.

Since these finishes last and last, it's basically a do it once and never again proposition. This is why the cost more. Examples include Pebble Tec, Wet Edge, and Bead Crete.

Scott

So you are telling me that if I go with a recoating of plaster that I will not have to redo it for another 10 years? Then why does the warranty only last for 1 year? Not trying to argue just try to make the best decision for our residents.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.