Polaris 280 question

Beez

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2009
Dallas, TX
The booster pump for my Polaris 280 is wired so that it can't come on unless the main pump is on. From what I've read on this board, this is by design to protect the booster pump.

So here's my question: Would it hurt anything to leave the switch to the booster pump in the "ON" position so that whenever the main pump turns on, the Polaris will be activated as well? In other words, leave the booster switch on to let the main pump timer control the booster pump?

Beez said:
The booster pump for my Polaris 280 is wired so that it can't come on unless the main pump is on. Would it hurt anything to leave the switch to the booster pump in the "ON" position so that whenever the main pump turns on, the Polaris will be activated as well? In other words, leave the booster switch on to let the main pump timer control the booster pump?
This is essentially how I have set up my winter pump run time... my Polaris 280 comes on at exactly the same time the main pump turns on (and turns off the same way.) I think the reasoning behind not wanting the booster pump to run independent of the main pump is partly discerned from its name. The pump running the Polaris 280 boosts the psi of an already existing flow from the main pump. Without that flow, the booster pump would be trying to pull water through the filter and main pump... and it isn't designed to run the entire system.

polyvue said:
This is essentially how I have set up my winter pump run time... my Polaris 280 comes on at exactly the same time the main pump turns on (and turns off the same way.) I think the reasoning behind not wanting the booster pump to run independent of the main pump is partly discerned from its name. The pump running the Polaris 280 boosts the psi of an already existing flow from the main pump. Without that flow, the booster pump would be trying to pull water through the filter and main pump... and it isn't designed to run the entire system.
Right, I understand the reasoning behind the wiring setup. My question is that since the two pumps are wired that way, would it hurt anything for the booster switch to be in the ON position always(not controlled by its own timer)?

The reason I ask is because I want the two to operate in tandem, but I don't trust that the old timers controlling each pump are accurate enough for the short duration I want them to run this winter. So my thought was that I would take the booster off of its timer, put its switch in the ON position, thereby letting the main pump timer control both.

Of course, I've already thought of one major flaw in my reasoning. When it gets cold enough for the freeze guard to kick on, it can run as long as 12 hours or so. Too long for the Polaris. But I'm still curious as to my original question. Anyone?

Beez said:
So here's my question: Would it hurt anything to leave the switch to the booster pump in the "ON" position so that whenever the main pump turns on, the Polaris will be activated as well? In other words, leave the booster switch on to let the main pump timer control the booster pump?

Are you referring to the on/off switch/lever on the timer, or some other switch?

On a previous pool of ours (in TX), we had 1 Intermatic digital timer that controlled both the main pump and the Polaris together. The Polaris circuit also had a wall switch, separate from the timer. If that wall switch was on, then the Polaris ran in tandem with the main pump. If we turned the switch off, then the Polaris would never run, even when the main pump was on.

So, for us, there was no problem whatsoever with leaving the Polaris on all the time. The only drawback, as you've already thought of, is that the cleaner runs a lot more than necessary because it's running for every filtration cycle - unless you run out to the equipment pad and turn the cleaner switch off. For us, even in winter, we ran the main pump for at least 4 hours which resulted in more cleaning than necessary. And, it wasn't all that unusual for our freeze protection to be on for 24-48 hours straight at least once during the winter! :shock: We tried to remember to turn the Polaris switch off during those cold snaps.

Have you thought of doing a minor upgrade and installing an Intermatic digital timer that can be separately programmed for the main pump and the cleaner? We had thought of doing that and, in retrospect, I wish we had.

dawndenise said:
Are you referring to the on/off switch/lever on the timer, or some other switch?
Sorry, I didn't include enough information...

There are 2 old mechanical Intermatic timers in my system. One controls the main filter pump and the other controls the booster pump. So when I mentioned "switch" I was referring to the switch/lever in the timer.

So I'll try to rephrase my question more concisely: Since the two pumps seem to be wired together, is there any harm in removing the on/off trips in the booster pump timer and leaving the manual switch in the ON position so that the Polaris would automatically come on when the main filter pump is activated? Then when the timer for the main pump trips off, it would turn both pumps off.

Electrically speaking, is it a bad idea to let the main pump switch control both pumps?

Thanks polyvue & dawndenise for your replies!

Beez ~ Got your PM. :oops: Sorry I didn't see this sooner. If I look at a thread and believe the question is being answered I pass it by. Obviously this wasn't the case with this one.

Now to the question at hand.
The first thing to do is check the amp rating of the main pump timer. I feel like it's capable of starting both pumps but you need to check it. If it's more than the sum of the full load amps of both motors then there shouldn't be any issues starting both pumps at the same time. The few seconds it takes the main pump to get up to speed won't be an issue for the booster. In fact, the suction from the booster starting will actually let the main pump start faster. Granted it won't be enough of a difference but it will be a little.

Bama Rambler said:
The first thing to do is check the amp rating of the main pump timer. I feel like it's capable of starting both pumps but you need to check it. If it's more than the sum of the full load amps of both motors then there shouldn't be any issues starting both pumps at the same time. The few seconds it takes the main pump to get up to speed won't be an issue for the booster. In fact, the suction from the booster starting will actually let the main pump start faster. Granted it won't be enough of a difference but it will be a little.
Thanks for the response! And sorry to be obtuse, but where would I find this information?

My only concern would be the abuse that the contacts will take on the main pump timer. At startup there is the startup current to deal with and at shutdown there are some pretty good sparks flying across the gaps as the contacts open. Forcing both pumps to run at the same time will reduce the life of the contacts on the main timer. I know from experience that on the Intermatic mechanical timers the contacts can't be replaced. You have to replace the whole timer. :(

HarryH3 said:
My only concern would be the abuse that the contacts will take on the main pump timer. At startup there is the startup current to deal with and at shutdown there are some pretty good sparks flying across the gaps as the contacts open. Forcing both pumps to run at the same time will reduce the life of the contacts on the main timer. I know from experience that on the Intermatic mechanical timers the contacts can't be replaced. You have to replace the whole timer. :(
Well, I thought that my solution sounded too easy. :roll: I guess I'll play it safe and use both timers. :|

This forum is such a great resource. :party: Without it I would have been forced into trial and error. Thanks everyone for the help!

:wave: Dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My setup sounds similar to yours. I have a single box with two intermatic mechanical timers. I just set the timer for the booster pump to come on an hour or so after the main pump timer and then switch back off 90 minutes later (and well before the main pump switches off).

HarryH3 said:
My setup sounds similar to yours. I have a single box with two intermatic mechanical timers. I just set the timer for the booster pump to come on an hour or so after the main pump timer and then switch back off 90 minutes later (and well before the main pump switches off).
I doubt you have a setup like mine, or at least I hope you don't! :lol: Here are my timers:[attachment=0:3dfiouq8]timers.jpg[/attachment:3dfiouq8]The problem is that the timers don't keep accurate time anymore, if they ever did. In the summer, it's no big deal because I run the main pump 8-12 hrs so there is a big window for my normal Polaris run time of 3 hrs. But now that my water temp is dropping I'm going to cut the main filter pump run time down to 2 hrs. It just seems like a PITA to keep up with two timers with such a small window of run time. It would be so much easier to have one timer control both. But on the good side, I don't think the timers wander too much, I'll just have to keep an eye on them.

Attachments

• timers.jpg
    timers.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 162
Your Intermatic timer "guts" can be replaced relatively cheaply and they should keep good time. Mine is always dead on.

Having the two motors start simultaneously would be quite a surge on the main timer contacts. Without knowing currents and capacities, I would hesitate to recommend it.

JohnT said:
Your Intermatic timer "guts" can be replaced relatively cheaply and they should keep good time. Mine is always dead on.

Having the two motors start simultaneously would be quite a surge on the main timer contacts. Without knowing currents and capacities, I would hesitate to recommend it.
Thanks for the reply! :wave:

Most of the Intermatic timers I've looked at are rated for 5hp, so if you still wanted to run both pumps off one timer I don't see it being a problem. You probably have less than half the rated hp so one timer could handle it if you still want it to.

Bama Rambler said:
Most of the Intermatic timers I've looked at are rated for 5hp, so if you still wanted to run both pumps off one timer I don't see it being a problem. You probably have less than half the rated hp so one timer could handle it if you still want it to.
You're probably right. Main pump is 1.5 HP, booster is 3/4 HP. I looked on the motors for the amp info you were asking about, and this is how it is listed: main pump - 8.0/16.0, booster - 6.4/12.8, not too sure what this means, or if it is helpful at all...I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to electrical. :oops:

I'm thinking I will try it and see what happens. What is the worst case scenario for failure? Damage to the timer? Damage to the pumps? Nothing catastrophic I hope, like an ensuing fire? :shock:

Those are the full load amps for the motors. The first number is if the motor is hooked to 230 volts and the second is if it's hooked to 115 volts. at worse it means you're only at 2.25 hp. Less than half the timer rating. It's a little more wear on your contacts but since you're only kicking them on once a day it won't make enough difference in the life of them to worry about.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.