2.5 HP pump VS. 1 HP pump

May 31, 2009
Houston, TX
Got my plumbing issues sorted out (This is the Thread - http://www.troublefreepool.com/how-does-a-pump-go-bad-t17360.html) and now have the opprurtunity to keep (for an extremely reasonable price) the 2.5 HP pump I was using to troubleshoot. We are not sure if there was something lodged in the line or there was the possibility of flexpipe collapsing. We put a put a pump at either end of the line and began to do the ol' push-pull with the 2 pumps . Never saw anything the we could pinpoint to say....this is what was blocking the line, that is why collapsing flex pipe came into the conversation. We really don't know if there is even flex pipe down there. So we are still left wondering what may have been blocking the line. Nevertheless, the pump was starving for water.

So to my original question - Should I keep the 2.5 HP pump on the system or go back to the 1 HP setup? I have 2 friends in the pool biz that have been helping me through my plumbing issue. One says no problems, keep the 2.5 in place. The other says go back to the 1 HP ASAP. (On a side note: the same two guys had this to say about my filter set up.....The 1 HP guy said I need to trash my DE filter and go with a cartridge set up and the 2.5 HP guy said the DE filter is as good as I can get).

Help push me off the fence.

sS

The 1 HP pump will use 40% less electricity while only losing 20% in water flow. So you would be using 20% less in electricity per turnover with the 1 HP vs the 2.5 HP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.