Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Discolorations in pool finish

1. Back To Top    #1

Discolorations in pool finish

New gunite pool with a Maui Gem quartz finish in "shark skin" grey color. PB added muriatic acid today and afterwards I noticed a lightened area where the acid was added. Does anyone know if this could be the cause of the lightened area or could there be other culprits? Will this area possibly darken again?
    28,000 IG Free Form Gunite with quartz finish
    Pentair Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS+SVRS
    Polaris 280, Sta-Rite 400K Heater-Propane

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Discolorations in pool finish

Two initial questions...

1. Was the pool pump running when your PB added the acid...

2. In which part of the pool was is added...shallow end, deep end, etc....
    Pool: 24k, 38' x 19' x 24' Free-form IG Gunite with 24' Infinity Edge and Cantilever coping, SGM Diamond Brite Super Blue Plaster,
    Filter: Hayward C5025 Swim Clear Cartridge Pool Filter - 525 Square Feet
    Main Pool Pump: Hayward TriStar Energy Efficient Pool Pump 1HP - (SP3210EE), Hayward Pool Cleaner Booster Pump - 6060
    Infinity Edge Catch Basin Pump: Hayward TriStar Energy Efficient Pool Pump 3HP - (SP3230EE)
    Automation: Aqua Plus 40K Gallon Chlorination and Control - PL-PLUS (SWG)

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Discolorations in pool finish

Quote Originally Posted by mamasproject
    New gunite pool with a Maui Gem quartz finish in "shark skin" grey color. PB added muriatic acid today and afterwards I noticed a lightened area where the acid was added. Does anyone know if this could be the cause of the lightened area or could there be other culprits? Will this area possibly darken again?
    As agent86 suggested, having the pump running is fairly critical when adding muriatic acid (or any chemical) and hopefully the PB added this to the deep end. If he/she added a substantial amount near the newly plastered surface of your pool with the pump shut off... well, I don't know if it would permanently lighten the plaster color, but I would certainly question the PB about this.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009