Question about 3/8 line upgrade.

JCJR

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2007
Miami
I ordered all the parts to upgrade my original LQ lines. I have the original saddle clamps and I am assuming that I need to replace those with one of the "62175 Male Adapter Nylon Fitting". How do I drill out the hole? Do I have to tap? Also, Rabbit's post has this quote "You will need a 1/4 inch NPT pipe tape to do this right." What does this mean?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you have to drill and tap for the male adapter. It's easy to drill and tap plastic pipe.

On a side note, I only upsized the outlet side line to 3/8" and I can get the flow meter to peg out high. I will eventually upgrade the inlet side, probably this winter sometime.

Do you think "You will need a 1/4 inch NPT pipe tape to do this right" means I need a 1/4 inch tap?

1/4 inch seems small for the plastic adapter from the list. I went to Home Depot and the guy in plumbing had no clue and the guy in tools said I need a 1/2 inch tap which they did not have.

You need a 1/4" NPT pipe tap. If you look at the fitting the left (barbed) end is 3/8" tubing, the right (threaded) end is 1/4" NPT pipe. I know it seams strange but 1/4" pipe is larger than 3/8" tubing.
62173p.jpg

[EDIT]- When I first did mine I misplaced my 1/4" NPT tap so I cut the 1/4" tubing at the saddle clamp end about 2" long and forced the 3/8" tubing over it and put a ty-rap around it. it was a snug enough fit that it didn't leak. Since it was on the suction of the pump there was very little pressure to deal with. [END EDIT]

I just finished my install/conversion last weekend and I found the 1/4" pipe tap at Lowes, Home Depot did not have one. Also I found at Lowes some plastic fittings that were 1/4" X 3/8 male tubing that were "L" shaped that worked perfect for the inlet side that made it easier to tie the tubing down to the pipe (a cleaner install). Also I am currently using the box that the LQ came in to cover the unit to avoid sun exposure, I plan on using the box as a template to make a fiberglass box to cover the unit from the sun. I will keep you guys posted with pics.

TRW, I found the tap in Lowes. Thanks. Just so there is no confusion, there are different types of taps. NPT is a standard that some how the size correlates with the inside diameter not the outside. You can find a 1/4 NP and a 1/4 NPT and the NPT will be larger.

I am going to install later, but I have one more question. Can I just drill using the tap on the hole that I already have? I beleive it is a 3/8 hole from the initial Hasa installation.

If you mean can you just drill out the existing hole? Yes, just drill it out and then tap it. Only run the tap in about half way or a little less. Since it's tapered threads the hole gets bigger the farther you run it in.

When you say "drill it out" I assume is to make the hole bigger to accept the tap. I serached instructions but could not find only that some 1/4 NPT taps come with a 7/16 drill bit and some charts say to use a 7/16 drill bit.

So I am going to use a 7/16 drill bit and the follow with the tap only. Bama states to run the tap only 1/2 way. Since this is PVC pipe, how tick is the wall and how do I know it is only 1/2 way?

Thanks.

Yes, drill it out to 7/16" then tap.

When I said run the tap only 1/2 the way in, I meant to run it half way up the tap. I.e. if the threaded part of the tap is 1" long only run the tap into the hole 1/2".

Well, I did the conversion and it took about 45 min due to not having the tools and parts on hand. I had to search for teflon tape and a small adj wrench. I drilled like Bama said but stopped a a quarter up the drill bit and spot tested to see if the fitting fit. It was too tight so I drilled some more a little at a time until the fitting felt snug when tightening. I did not get to the 1/2 way mark of the bit. I used pipe dope.

When completed my flow rate was at 2.5 on the flow meter. That was kind of strange because that was less than the original 1/4 in line. I mounted the flow mwter about two feet above the LQ for easy adjustments. Once I lowered the flow meter below the LQ water line, the meter went to 5. (I was using the pump on low).

I'm going to continue to monitor and adjust until I get CL between 4-6.

Thanks to all that helped.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.