Pool closed... but crack in line.

jjdurrant

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
MN
I am bummed... PB says I have a crack in my main deep end return line as he was only able to build up about 10lbs of pressure. :(

Idea on what that might cost to repair?

I hope this wasn't due to last years closing because I pay him specifically to not have to deal with stuff like this. But it explains my water loss this summer (along with the crack in steps of course).

I have a feeling it is going to be an expensive spring.

Hopefully not as bad as paying for a new liner and heater all in the same month back in 2007! :)

Thanks!

polyvue said:
This won't help you fix the problem... but I would immediately associate a compromise of the main drain's return line with the major repairs done in 2007. Could be a very unhappy coincidence, too.

Hmmm.. what would a new liner and heater have to do with it?

Here is what PB said.. I do recall him telling me this a few years ago..

--

We've reported the leak in the deep end return line in the past. If you do all the preparation work (digging), we can then come in and do the line replacement. If we do this in the spring, I would need it to be very early so that it does not interfere with the pool opening season. Early means by mid April. The other option would be for you to do all the digging now and we would run the new line and make the step repair once the pool closing season ends. We would most likely be able to do the work either the 22nd or 23rd of October. If you did the digging the cost would be around $600-$750 and if we did the digging the cost would increase to $900-$1200.

Update

--

I just talked with Andrew and he's is very confident that the leaks is at the wall fitting. If this is the case, then the work becomes easier and the cost drops substantially. You would need to remove one section of the ties so that you could dig to the return jet. We must have the dig dimensions as follows. Facing the return jet from the retaining wall side, the width of the dig area needs to be 4 feet wide. Dig to the back side of the pool wall panel with the actual return jet in the middle of your 4 foot width. If the leak is right there we can make a repair instead of having to run a complete new line. Cost for this would be Around $200 depending on what materials we end up using. Let me know if you want me to schedule this work yet this fall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.