How to setup my vacuum?

Hello and Welcome to TFP!

I guess where you put the hose depends on the equipment you have and how your pool is setup. The most common is that you put it into the skimmer hole. Depending on your setup, it may use a vacuum plate (elbow with a big circle attached) or take the skimmer basket out and put the hose right in.
Hold the hose in front of a return to fill it with water first. Try no to let air in the hose when you attach it.

Please fill out your signature with your pool & equipment information.

I saw a $15 pool vaccum being sold in walmart that uses the pressure from a garden hose to lift up debris into a net. Do you think this is worthwhile? My pool is 15x30.

I’ve never had experience with one of those so I can’t really comment on their effectiveness. I will say it will add water to your pool anytime you use it whether it needs water or not. This may not be desirable. If you use the skimmer/vac hose method then the water you suck from the pool is just put right back in the pool.

I would stick to one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Swimline-Weighted-Flex-Vacuum-Head/dp/B000MOIWWW/ref=sr_1_10?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1531868437&sr=1-10&keywords=swimming+pool+vacuum

The kind you saw generally work good only for getting big leaves off the bottom. Silt and dirt will usually go right through the bag. The vacuum above will pick up everything as long as you have good suction in the line. If you have a variable speed pump, make sure you turn the pump to a higher rpm so you get maximum suction.

I know the vacuum I posted above looks pretty cheap, but it works well. I especially like the fact that is has a spring where the handle attaches to the vacuum. This keeps the vacuum head nice and flat on the walls instead of it floating in a horizontal position like a lot of other inexpensive ones. The spring makes it hug the walls nicely.

The end of the vacuum hose should fit perfectly over the pipe in the 2nd pic. First, attach the other end of the hose to the vacuum head and fully submerge the head with your pool pole to the bottom. Then, take your hose and feed it down into the water to get all the air out of it. Then feed the end of the hose through the skimmer opening and connect it to that pipe.

If you have a lot of debris, you can leave the basket in the skimmer and use a vacuum plate.
pool-vacuum-plate-100.jpg

Hayward-SP1094-Pool-Skimmer-Vacuum-Plate-45.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.