May 20, 2018
Clovis, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,

My pool was just completed in April this year. I was pretty hands off with the startup and chemicals until a week or two ago, when I realized I needed to get involved with it and got a TF100.

Everything looks pretty good, but I have very high calcium hardness, my tests have all been 500-550 ppm. Our city water here is less than 50 ppm.

Could this have been caused by the curing of the plaster? I have Pebble Tec Pebble Fina. Or is there something the pool guy or builder could have done wrong to cause this? The only other thing I can think of is that while our city water has low hardness now, it may have been high in April, as we shift from groundwater to surface water at different times of year.

My CYA is also higher than I'd like.

Any thoughts? At this point I'm planning to drain and replace some water at the end of the season.

My tests look like this on average:

FC 6
CC 0
pH 7.5 (though I keep needing acid)
TA 90
CH 500
CYA 50 (I think, could be high as 60, still practicing that test)

TIA!!

Whoever did the startup probably used cal hypo, or added calcium as well. You can manage your pool chemistry just fine with your CH at 500. Just plug in all your numbers to see where your CSI is and adjust one of the other parameters like pH or TA in the direction you need to keep the CSI in the -0.2 to 0 range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.