Wanted: advice for adding DE to sand filter

Thanks everyone for your thoughts in this thread, you came through with some great suggestions. The pool is now closed for the season, so further experimentation will have to wait until the giant science lab reopens next spring.

frustratedpoolmom, during closing while the water levels were down, I had a look at the orientation of the return eyeballs and I've got an idea for how to set them up next season. Will definitely experiment with that.

Whenever I solve this issue I'll be sure to post my solution, be it related to circulation, chemistry, filter media, or some combination of these.

PaulR said:
duraleigh said:
Teapot,

You make a point of your post being controversial but you don't mention why? Please elaborate.
Well I thought it was because of mentioning zeolite (has had controversial threads in the past, chem geek summarizes here) and saying the smooth glass is superior (conventional wisdom is that fresh sand is more jagged and therefore catches dirt better).
--paulr

Partially PaulR, (sorry been away for a few days).

There are different hardnesses of zeolite and unfortunately some retailers have the dollar signs in their eyes and would sell anything to make a buck including cat litter!

Partially to criticise sand is always controversial, its been used widely as duraliegh says, I was using it right up to this year. It performs well when new but ages.

The orientation of the returns is important as FPM says.

If I couldn't drink it I wouldn't swim in it! Regarding the smooth vs jagged, I agree the rougher surface catches more but is also harder to clean however the glass actually does catch more and is easier clean so less dirt anywhere has to mean less chlorine used.

Here is a report on glass filtration media from an independent source

http://www.wrap.org.uk/downloads/GLA0036-08_WDS_Final_Report.7ec0e1fe.2293.pdf

Regarding the filter being a moot point if the chemistry is correct, 1 moot point per pool maybe ok, however if you have very high phosphates and or nitrates and poor filtration, no bottom drain and poor movement you have lots of moot points so it will be less of a trouble free pool.

I see that Eco smarte are selling glass pack and I think we all know they inflate the facts, I do not know their manufacturing process so cannot comment but again some of their claims are not what other manufacturers have found.

A very good point, As it has been in service for more than 15 years and shows no sign of wearing out you may never (never is a long time) but certainly in excess of 15years but if the day comes you simply put it in the glass recycling bin at the municple dump and it gets melted down and turned into somthing else.

Beer bottles, beer glass, windshield who knows.

Well everyone, I promised that whenever I solved this issue I would be sure to post my solution. Turns out that it was a combination of poor circulation in the deep end and maybe a bit of chemistry, too.

When setting up the pool this spring, I aimed return eyeball #2 slightly downwards to encourage water movement at depth. (I also aimed return eyeball #1 up a wee bit to get some surface ripple/aeration.) With no drain and so few returns, this was the best I could do. It seems to be enough. My water has been crystal clear all summer long.

I've also done a better job of keeping the chlorine constantly between 3 and 5, and CYA levels are down where they should be, around 30.

Thanks to everyone, and especially to frustratedpoolmom, for helping me understand my pool. It is such a relief to be in control and to be able to get great results with relatively little effort and expense. TFP is a wonderful resource!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.