Whitish/yellowish slime, just a tad

Jul 29, 2017
San Antonio, Tx
I went out and added some bleach to my little slice of heaven (sarcasm) after the grandkids spent about an hour and half swimming today. As is usually the case, after they get done splashing around, the chlorine is gone. So, per the pool math thing, I added about 13 ounces of 6.0% bleach. My Stabilizer and pH look fine, and my chlorine was good afterwards, around 4. But I noticed around the side of the pool furthest from the filter exhaust was a two or three foot long (but only about one inch wide) slick of what looked like slime. I used my skimmer net to take it out and got it no problem. But this year, as I have been good about cleaning and keeping up the chlorine, I hadn't seen anything like this. Could this just be from sun tan lotion? Or detangler from my granddaughter's hair? Or am I getting algae or something along those lines? Due to faulty pools, I've already done three full pool fillings this summer. I'd prefer not to get behind and have to do this all again!

Tx, with TFP at your back, you should have no problems having a little slice of heaven (no sarcasm).
It’s hard to say for sure, but if you can scoop it out, that thing may just be hair/ oils clumped up.

That said, you are at great risk of an algae outbreak with chlorine between 0-3ppm. Please post up your test results and how you obtained them. pH, CYA and any others you have.
Are you following the FC/CYA chart?

Did you scoop it out? Or did you use the net material to rub the slime off the wall?

It was floating near the wall, it wsn't actually attached to the wall.

I only have a two way test kit, though I do have some left over strips I use just for stabilizer.

pH - 7.6
FC - 4 (after I added bleach)
CYA was showing in the 30-40 range

No other residue has appeared since I scooped it out BTW.

Are you always using bleach or use solid chlorine as well? Have you added any CYA since the water refill?

Also, chlorine is a daily consumable. When you add the bleach, are you bring the chlorine level high enough to allow for the daily loss and still have chlorine in the water?

If you are actually having issues keeping chlorine in the water and since this is a seasonal pool , I would recommend getting an intermediate test kit like the HTH 6-way kit. It's typically available at your local walmart or store with a pool section. It will allow you to measure CYA and from that we can know what your proper chlorine level needs to be. You could have too little CYA and making your chlorine burn off too quick. Too much CYA and the chlorine could be ineffective and some residual stuff could be using up all your chlorine. We don't trust the test strips enough to use their results.

Are you always using bleach or use solid chlorine as well? Have you added any CYA since the water refill?

Also, chlorine is a daily consumable. When you add the bleach, are you bring the chlorine level high enough to allow for the daily loss and still have chlorine in the water?

I use bleach only, no solid chlorine of any kind. I only filled the pool about two or three weeks ago, so no, no additional stabilizer. It was my understanding from an earlier post that, with a pool this size, CYA levels were pretty much hassle free as it would last pretty well throughout the summer.

I add bleach daily to target a chlorine of 4, which I understand to be the value I want. Is that to low?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.