Bad Scum Build Up

jland47

Silver Supporter
Jul 26, 2017
Louisiana
Is there any product that helps prevent the scum build up right above the water line? I add defoamer to the water pretty regular but the nasty fungus looking brownish gunk builds up pretty often on the tile. Its very stubborn to get off too, scraping it doesnt even get it all the way off.

Ive read some stuff about Pool Perfect from Natural chem, look decent

1000 gallon
gunite
1 air jet blower
1 water jet pump
2hp regular pool pump from Lowes
pentair sand filter

Are you using TFP methods and a proper test kit to care for your rather large pool? You specify a 1K pool but signature says 60K pool. Hope what Texas Splash recommended works out for you...

Signature is for my pool, the question about the scum is referring to a hot tub/whirlpool separate from the pool. Yes, Ive heard those balls work, just dont want it to be floating around in the water all the time. I'm trying some tennis balls in the skimmer right now, been about a week and they are not collecting any "scum". Still waiting on some of the Natural Chem spa product to come in. The product I ordered says it helps clean the sand filter as well, any truth to this?

Thanks,

I've noticed that I'll get a build up on our spa walls if I don't maintain FC. When I do get it I use a cloth to wash the wall and increase the FC for a bit.

Updated: Welp, should of paid better attention to your post...you already mentioned a difficulty scrubbing your walls. But the FC (and other levels) could still be an issue. +1 on the Ahhsome might be time for a purge.

Signature is for my pool, the question about the scum is referring to a hot tub/whirlpool separate from the pool. Yes, Ive heard those balls work, just dont want it to be floating around in the water all the time. I'm trying some tennis balls in the skimmer right now, been about a week and they are not collecting any "scum". Still waiting on some of the Natural Chem spa product to come in. The product I ordered says it helps clean the sand filter as well, any truth to this?

Thanks,
The general advise of this forum is to avoid adding any chemicals except simple ones (acid, bleach, etc).

To get a good response, you'll need to answer a few questions: What test kit do you use? How do you maintain your sanitizer? Do you use chlorine or bromine? What's the latest set of test results?

I have limited experience with spas, but over several winter months (bought spa at Christmas, took down for summer) I had zero scum buildup. I followed the TFP guidelines and only ever added acid, dichlor, bleach, borax, and baking soda (that only because I overshot an acid addition). And we used the tub daily, often for hours at a time. Follow the TFP guidelines and it really is "trouble free!"

My assumption is you aren't really following TFP guidelines to maintain your water, based on the lack of a volunteered water test report, and the mention of chemicals besides those basic and nessissary. Is my assumption true?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.