Anyone know what brand of filter this is?

Oct 7, 2009
[attachment=2:jcs2yhxo]pool filter and back flush valve 002.jpg[/attachment:jcs2yhxo]
I just bought a house with a pool. The house was built in 1973 and I'm assuming the pool and equipment is that old as well.
I have determined it is a sand filter with a side mount back flush valve (brass) The cap on the back flush valve was leaking badly. New O rings didn't fix it and they don't make most parts for it anymore and to buy a new brass unit is well over $250.00. [attachment=1:jcs2yhxo]pool filter and backflush valve 003.jpg[/attachment:jcs2yhxo]
I hired a pool guy to teach me the in's and outs of maintaining a pool and he plugged the top so I could still filter the pool for a few months until the unit can be replaced. This is all it's doing. I'ts been shocked, tested, acid added, vacuumed and brushed. [attachment=0:jcs2yhxo]pool filter and backflush valve 001.jpg[/attachment:jcs2yhxo]
The problem is that there are no model numbers, serial numbers or even a name brand on the filter.
The back flush valve has the name "Swimquip" on it and the numbers 17018. I am not finding anything with these numbers or name for replacement parts. Can I put a PVC type side mount back flush valve on this tank? And if so, does anyone out there know who made this filter?

The only thing I know about my pool is that it is approximately 25,000 gallons, inground concrete, there are four floor inlets and four side wall inlets. I know nothing else about it, except it's giving me a headache.
Thank in advance from sunny Tucson, Arizona.

Attachments

• pool filter and backflush valve 002.jpg
    pool filter and backflush valve 002.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 16
  • pool filter and backflush valve 003.jpg
    pool filter and backflush valve 003.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 17
  • pool filter and backflush valve 001.jpg
    pool filter and backflush valve 001.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 248
While I'm not positive of the original manufacturer, those filters were used by members (pool Builders) of the Master Pools Guild. The Master Pools Guild hold pool builders to a higher standard than typical construction practices demanded, and it is an honor to be in the Guild. Here is a link to their site: http://www.masterpoolsguild.com/

Looks like you bought into a great pool! While that filter is extremely outdated, it was top of the line at the time.

Bruce

I can't recall the exact model of the filter off hand, but the short story is that you won't be able to readily get parts for it. I was able to track down a few parts diagrams for similar swimquip filters using the Internet Archive's stored pages of purextriton.com. If you scroll down to filter parts you'll see a few similar stainless steel models.

Given the state of the valve and the difficulty finding parts, you might consider swapping out the entire unit. Or, if you wanted to have a go with the current filter you could just replace the push pull valve with a multiport, but at some point the tank o-ring is going to fail and you'll either have to silicone the heck out of it, have someone custom make a gasket, or bite the bullet and go for a new filter.

Sorry I can't remember the model name. If I get back out to that customer's house any time soon I'll be sure to write it down!

If there is no slide valve in there, then the water is bypassing the filter. That may be why the pool looks the way it does in the pic. All any good pool store would need is that number you got and a pic to see if they can get the parts. I think it will really be a Crud shoot if you can get parts.

Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.