Taylor 2106 Kit - testing bromine levels

michy

Sep 26, 2009
If I compare the test results using the 25mL sample and the 10mL sample they are not the same. For example the 25mL sample give a result of 8ppm (16 drops x 0.5) and the 10mL sample gives 12.5ppm (10 x 1.125). I prefer to use the 25mL sample because it's easier to swirl but i can save on drops by using the 10mL sample when anticipating high bromine levels.

Has anyone else seen these discrepancies? Also, I would have thought you'd need to add less R-0870 DPD powder in the 10mL sample than the two scoops that are added to the 25mL? But it doesn't say anything about this in the instructions.

Thanks,

Michy

michy said:
If I compare the test results using the 25mL sample and the 10mL sample they are not the same. For example the 25mL sample give a result of 8ppm (16 drops x 0.5) and the 10mL sample gives 12.5ppm (10 x 1.125). I prefer to use the 25mL sample because it's easier to swirl but i can save on drops by using the 10mL sample when anticipating high bromine levels.

I've done consecutive tests using the two measurement lines on the comparator tube from the same water sample - especially two different tests (CH, TA) and use a 25 mL or 10 mL for the reasons you elucidate.

Did you take just one (1) sample of pool water and conduct the tests one right after the other? Only thing that comes to mind that would affect the result would be contamination of the tube or sample. Be sure that the compator tube gets rinsed before the first test with pool (sample) water. After the 25 mL (10mL) test and before the next one, rinse the comparator tube two or three times with tap water, and then finally with some pool (sample) water. Then conduct the second test poured from the pool (sample) water. This shouldn't seem redundant.

Has anyone else seen these discrepancies? Also, I would have thought you'd need to add less R-0870 DPD powder in the 10mL sample than the two scoops that are added to the 25mL? But it doesn't say anything about this in the instructions.

Thanks,

Michy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.