Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor 2106 Kit - testing bromine levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor 2106 Kit - testing bromine levels

If I compare the test results using the 25mL sample and the 10mL sample they are not the same. For example the 25mL sample give a result of 8ppm (16 drops x 0.5) and the 10mL sample gives 12.5ppm (10 x 1.125). I prefer to use the 25mL sample because it's easier to swirl but i can save on drops by using the 10mL sample when anticipating high bromine levels.

Has anyone else seen these discrepancies? Also, I would have thought you'd need to add less R-0870 DPD powder in the 10mL sample than the two scoops that are added to the 25mL? But it doesn't say anything about this in the instructions.

Thanks,

Michy
    13,500 IG Pool w/Spa, 50/50 Quartz/Plaster
    Whisper Flo pump, Booster Pump, Triton II Sand Filter, Pentair Model 320 Chlorine In-line Feeder, Ulta-Pure (Turbo Shock/UV ozone generator), Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taylor 2106 Kit - testing bromine levels

oops, I meant the 10mL sample gives 12.5ppm (10 x 1.25)
    13,500 IG Pool w/Spa, 50/50 Quartz/Plaster
    Whisper Flo pump, Booster Pump, Triton II Sand Filter, Pentair Model 320 Chlorine In-line Feeder, Ulta-Pure (Turbo Shock/UV ozone generator), Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm gas heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Taylor 2106 Kit - testing bromine levels

Quote Originally Posted by michy
    If I compare the test results using the 25mL sample and the 10mL sample they are not the same. For example the 25mL sample give a result of 8ppm (16 drops x 0.5) and the 10mL sample gives 12.5ppm (10 x 1.125). I prefer to use the 25mL sample because it's easier to swirl but i can save on drops by using the 10mL sample when anticipating high bromine levels.

I've done consecutive tests using the two measurement lines on the comparator tube from the same water sample - especially two different tests (CH, TA) and use a 25 mL or 10 mL for the reasons you elucidate.

Did you take just one (1) sample of pool water and conduct the tests one right after the other? Only thing that comes to mind that would affect the result would be contamination of the tube or sample. Be sure that the compator tube gets rinsed before the first test with pool (sample) water. After the 25 mL (10mL) test and before the next one, rinse the comparator tube two or three times with tap water, and then finally with some pool (sample) water. Then conduct the second test poured from the pool (sample) water. This shouldn't seem redundant.

Has anyone else seen these discrepancies? Also, I would have thought you'd need to add less R-0870 DPD powder in the 10mL sample than the two scoops that are added to the 25mL? But it doesn't say anything about this in the instructions.

Thanks,

Michy
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009