salt water question

uwimage

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2007
Richardson, TX
Hey all!

My wife and I are thinking about salt water but I had a quick question regarding staining...we have some very large oak trees around out pool and I have a hand full of stains every morning, it's not really a big deal, they clear up as soon as the pool starts running and for the larger ones I just pour a little shock on top of them and it seems to clear up quickly.

I'm wondering if anyone here knows if the salt water will help with the staining or make it more of a pain? Has anyone had a similar situation and switched to salt water?

Thanks if anyone knows anything about it...I'd much rather get my information here than from someone who just wants to make a buck :D

-Thomas

The stains may not be algae or metallic, but rather, tree pollen (or some tree fall out). With the pump off, the pollen will collect on the floor of the pool. With the pump on, the water moves the pollen around and gets filtered out. The ones that remain are probably in a dead spot, hydraulicly. Have you tried brushing it, rather than adding chlorine over the area?
If it is hydraulic, try repositioning your return jets to provide a better circulation flow through your pool.

I don't think it's algae because algae will not disappear with the pump on.
Finally, a salt system will not affect this situation if it's pollen. However, if it is an algae, the salt system may help by continually producing chlorine to provide a more consistent chlorination to your pool.

I am not running a SCG but I have salted my pool just for the effects that salt has on the skin. I have many oak trees around my pool and have seen that the streamers and leaves don't break down as fast so they leave deposits on the bottom of the pool as bad. I hate the little streamers that the oaks drop in the pool I am constantly cleaning out my skimmer basket. :x

yep, their the streamers...brushing it helps after the pool has been on for a while, but not all together. I'm just hoping it's a seasonal thing here in TX.

We bought the house last year and the pool had been painted a few years ago and looked like Crud so we had new plaster put on (as well as tile and coping) so I'm hoping this is just a new plaster, spring time pain...we'll be getting a leaf net & solar cover next year!!

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

-Thomas

The oak streamers are a seasonal thing, at least here in Canada. They will start soon and last a week or 2 then stop.

A real nuisance. You'll be emptying your skimmer basket a few times a day. One thing I use that helps is a skimmer sock. Keeps the Crud from getting through to the filter basket.

The salt in the water doesn't make any difference to the staining.

We, like MedVampire, have the salt in our water (non swg) and have tree "droppings" but from Poplars and Aspens instead - fuzzy things that look like catepillars. They leave residue as well but it includes a "head seed" on the item that has sticky stuff too. I'm wondering if the salt water will slow down the deteriation of these things? We didn't notice as much sludge surrounding them with the salt last year and so far this year as in the past before we started adding salt. Makes me wonder.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.