Pump is working intermittant

fordsbyjay

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 1, 2009
Lafayette, LA
My pump quit working on the weekend and I am looking for a new one. I took it apart to make sure there was nothing blocking it and it is clear. The impeller is missing a few pieces but it has been like that for awhile. If I shut the pump off and let it cool it will run for a couple minutes before clicking away then finally quitting again. My question is pump size. I read the other post on pump size but we have different pools so I started my own thread. BTW, is there any way this could be related to my switch to SWG a couple months ago?

I can not read the old sticker to find out the pump size. I do know the feed and output lines are 1 1/2". There is only two jets in the shallow end of my pool. The pump is approx. 70' from the skimmer basket and the jets are about 40' from the pump. I read the the hayward calculations on their website and I really think I need some help here.

My old pump was noisy as heck and I really like the idea of a whisper flow. I won't say money is no object but I do not want to buy cheap junk. If I have to spend a little more to get a better brand I have no problem doing that.

Unless you need high flow rates for a spa or waterfall, I would go with the lowest HP pump available. A Whisperflo 1/2 HP (WFE-2) would give you fairly good performance and have a turnover of close to 5 hours. If you want even more energy savings, go with a two speed but the minimum you can get in a Whisperflo is the 3/4 HP WFDS-3. Low speed will run at probably around 40 GPM with a turnover rate of 8 hours (4 hours for high speed).

In ground two speeds normally do not come with a switch but it is pretty easy to add one. Also, if you have a controller, that may be able to handle two speed wiring.

mas985 said:
A Whisperflo 1/2 HP (WFE-2) would give you fairly good performance and have a turnover of close to 5 hours. .

I have decided to go with the pump you recommended. My timer is all rusted up and I need a new one. Is there a specific one you would recommend? Can I buy just the replacement guts? My pump is wired for 220v.

thanks,

It depends on your timer & model whether you can buy "just the guts". Most Intermatic timers you can buy just the mechanism. If you'll post your brand and model number we can tell you whether the parts are available. If you buy a new one I'd recommend an Intermatic T101P3. It's a 24 hour timer in a plastic case.

The type of timer you choose would also depend on if you decided to go with the two speed or not. Given your plumbing, it might not be a bad idea.

The timer looks like an Intermatic unit in a metal case. It is old and I am not sure of the part number but it looks just like the TP103. We have always had so many algae problems in the past we had to run it all the time. Now that I have converted to SWG and gained incredible knowledge (from this site) on how to balance the pool properly my thought was to just buy the single stage pump, install a new timer and run the pool pump less hours/day. This would be the least amount of money right now and I can run the pump 1/2 what I have been doing in the past saving me money as well.

I'd recommend an Intermatic T101P3

Wouldn't I need the T104P3 timer for 240v?

When the contacts failed on my Intermatic mechanical timer, the cheapest way to replace it that I found was with a 240V water heater timer from Home Depot (Called The Little Gray Box???). The only difference I saw between it and the one it replaced was that the one I bought didn't have a switch to control a pool heater. I don't have a heater anyway, but it appears that moving the switch from the old timer to the new one is fairly simple. Anything for a pool seems to have a ridiculous price attached, as if only millionaires have pools... :x

Pull the water heater timer out of it's box and install it in your pool timer box. Voila! Cheap fix. :)

HarryH3 said:
When the contacts failed on my Intermatic mechanical timer, the cheapest way to replace it that I found was with a 240V water heater timer from Home Depot (Called The Little Gray Box???). The only difference I saw between it and the one it replaced was that the one I bought didn't have a switch to control a pool heater. I don't have a heater anyway, but it appears that moving the switch from the old timer to the new one is fairly simple. Anything for a pool seems to have a ridiculous price attached, as if only millionaires have pools... :x

Pull the water heater timer out of it's box and install it in your pool timer box. Voila! Cheap fix. :)

Thanks for the tip! :whoot:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.