Another request for pebble sheen color

Jun 4, 2017
Houston
Hello Friends
Stuck on what pebble sheen color to pick with our glass tile that is more abalone color.

Our pool is L shaped and 6'-7' wide. Both ends have glass tiles on the sun shelf (with three bubblers each) and on the second bench.

The quartzite decking is a stone grey flavor.

At any time, half the pool is completely shaded. Its 2' from the house.

Thanks for guidance! We are leaning towards a darker color.

Attachments

• 20180715_081246.jpg
    20180715_081246.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 148
Thanks! Do you think that will cause the tile and water to look more green? I was hoping for a blue. The glass tiles only looked a bit green after installation.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the shape. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20180715_081151.jpg
    20180715_081151.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 115
I would avoid anything that would have any hint of green. That's not always easy if the setting has lots of green foliage.

Are these pictures of your pool? And how many hours of sun does the pool get? That makes a difference to my thoughts of what might work.

Thanks,
Suz

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that tile!!

- - - Updated - - -

And welcome to TFP, neighbor!:wave:

Thanks! I love the glass tiles too, I think it looks like abalone shell. And yes, that's my pool. Half the pool is always in the shade due to the shape. There is a large tree that overhangs some.
Eventually the house will get painted a lot whiter. It doesn't look quite that yellow in person. I'm sure that will make the pool green too!
I'm worried with the shade that I'd I go too dark which is what I'd really like, the water will look black...

I think you may be right about so much shade making a dark plaster always look too dark. Water clarity isn't the issue, but very dark plasters can make the water more reflective. Close dark surroundings will reflect dark.

A negative for dark plaster is the risk of more mottling than with the lighter colors. I have Blue Granite, a medium color, and I have a good bit of mottling. Like some others in similar discussions, it doesn't bother me. I grew up swimming in clear water lakes/rivers and never saw an even colored bottom surface. To me, it looks more natural. For other pool owners, the mottling is very disappointing.

Pay attention to the colors of the individual pebbles in the selections. Beige, tan, brown, etc pebbles will give a green cast in certain lighting or settings.

Blue Surf might be one to look at. I think there's also a Prism Blue (something like that) worth checking. Do some research on the gray plaster bases to see what you find about whether or not they create some green tints.

I've also read that some pool owners have had very cooperative PebbleTec companies who will leave out the tan/browns of pebbles from the mix. It doesn't hurt to ask about replacing with more blue or black pebbles.

If you really want to splurge, add beads to the pebble sheen and be selective about the colors you choose. For a smaller pool, it may not be too bad price-wise. Those pools are stunning. I'll see if I can find some good examples.

I like-a the dark! I like-a the mottling! Like a secluded tropical pool!

If you want it blue, you'll really need to avoid anything in the pebbles that will turn the water green. I went with a PebbleTec knockoff. They were willing to mix whatever pebbles I wanted. You'll need to paint those walls. The right grey would help the water color and might go well with the existing color (unless you're changing the whole house). Or "wainscot" the two walls with grey stone or faux brick. That would help to break up their stark nature, especially the wall without the windows, and really support visually what's going on with the pool.

stucco-stone-combination.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.