Closing my Pool

Oct 5, 2009
New to the Forum...Nice to meet all.

my question is, I am a current Baquacil user, and i've came to find out it very expensive...I'm fixing to close my pool..Do I need to convert to bleach/chlorine pool from baquacil before I close my pool with bleach/chlorine chemicals....

sorry if my question has came across to confuse a few of you. But I hope someone can help me figure out if I need to convert before I close with a traditional chemicals instead of baquacil..

Thanks in advance..

Pretty chilly up there compared to many spots in the South so I assume you will do a full closing...Draining lines, cover, etc.

I would be very tempted to do nothing but protect the lines and put the cover on it.

Whatever happens to the pool between now and Spring will be easily fixed when you convert over to chlorine and it probably will save you quite a bit not having to spend anything on closing now.

we had planned on draining the pool about 3/4 of the way to save on the water bill next year filling it back up....what would be a good suggestion to keep things from freezing? i know to drain lines..etc..etc. But what chemical is it to keep the remaining water from freezing..?

Thanks for the Welcome..!!!

snarebeast said:
we had planned on draining the pool about 3/4 of the way to save on the water bill next year filling it back up....what would be a good suggestion to keep things from freezing? i know to drain lines..etc..etc. But what chemical is it to keep the remaining water from freezing..?
As duraleigh suggested, there's no chemical to keep the water in the pool from freezing... at least not during extended periods of sub-32 degree air temperatures. It's the pipes, connections and equipment that warrant some sort of protection over the winter -- the water inside these things can expand, causing damage.

Not sure if you have an above ground or in-ground pool, but one of the following links will get you started. More help is available here from members if you get stuck or have questions about a specific issue.

Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool

Closing an In Ground Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.