"how to" enclosure for a motorpump

Sep 13, 2007
Hi,

how can I make a simple enclosure to reduce noise for a pool motopump? Does anyone have a step by step procedure?

I would love to hear/read about what you have done.

thanks in advance

Be careful not to enclose the pump too well and overheat it!

They do make some rubber isolation pads that you can place under the pump to absorb noise. If it truly is just a loud pump you need to replace it altogether! :lol:

Bruce

simicrintz said:
Be careful not to enclose the pump too well and overheat it!

Great advise! I tried enclosing my pump motor with an OSB baffle, sort of an engine compartment/car audio design. My biggest problem was airflow - with ventilation comes escaping noise, and it still got REALLY hot. Right now, I just have the pumphouse cover and surround that I built and it is much quieter. Wood is good, but concrete would be optimal.

From what I've read and hear from others, the "Whisperflow" and similar pump types aren't really much quieter than the less-expensive pumps. People said that mine is quieter than theirs with a cheap made in Mexico replacement motor that's probably past its life expectancy, coupled with an ancient Pentair system. The motor isn't the only part that makes noise - the impeller/strainer resonates worse than the motor, and then you have the hydronic frequencies from the tubing. So if you do build a box or baffle, cover those too. Also, I cut a lot of noise by propping up the pump assembly on a 2x4 so it doesn't rest on the concrete (I can't say I'd recommend it, but it's doing my system no harm and keeping the pump "foot" from rusting).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.