Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "how to" enclosure for a motorpump

1. Back To Top    #1

"how to" enclosure for a motorpump

Hi,

how can I make a simple enclosure to reduce noise for a pool motopump? Does anyone have a step by step procedure?

I would love to hear/read about what you have done.

thanks in advance
    25k gallon kidney shaped pool
    1 hp pump
    cartridge filter (4 cartridges)
    jandy deck jets

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: "how to" enclosure for a motorpump

Hi jvmagic

See this thread for some different ideas on how to accomplish this: Soundproofing to reduce pump noise
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

3. Back To Top    #3

Be careful not to enclose the pump too well and overheat it!

They do make some rubber isolation pads that you can place under the pump to absorb noise. If it truly is just a loud pump you need to replace it altogether!

Bruce

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by simicrintz
    Be careful not to enclose the pump too well and overheat it!
    Great advise! I tried enclosing my pump motor with an OSB baffle, sort of an engine compartment/car audio design. My biggest problem was airflow - with ventilation comes escaping noise, and it still got REALLY hot. Right now, I just have the pumphouse cover and surround that I built and it is much quieter. Wood is good, but concrete would be optimal.

From what I've read and hear from others, the "Whisperflow" and similar pump types aren't really much quieter than the less-expensive pumps. People said that mine is quieter than theirs with a cheap made in Mexico replacement motor that's probably past its life expectancy, coupled with an ancient Pentair system. The motor isn't the only part that makes noise - the impeller/strainer resonates worse than the motor, and then you have the hydronic frequencies from the tubing. So if you do build a box or baffle, cover those too. Also, I cut a lot of noise by propping up the pump assembly on a 2x4 so it doesn't rest on the concrete (I can't say I'd recommend it, but it's doing my system no harm and keeping the pump "foot" from rusting).
    26k gallon IG plaster/shotcrete
    Pentair 1 HP Hydropump
    C-9419 catridge filter
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

BTW a properly working motor isn't TOO loud usually, so make sure you are not trying to hide the noise of loud bearings as leaving it run will only put more stress on the motor.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp