Pebble Tek Question?

Jul 18, 2007
Are any of the readings/levels (ie ph, fc, ca etc.) different for regular plaster pools than Pebble Tek?

I started using the BBB method around 3-4wks ago and have saved quite a bit of money and my pool is looking like new . The pool store never told me that my CYA was low and I kept buying "shock" and going through the frogger cylinders. After reading the BBB method on another site (which you can no longer register for) I've bought the Taylor kit and I've since than raised my CYA to 30. I just added a little more CYA so I'm hoping to be around 40-50 for CYA and that should stop me from using up so much chlorine. Now I'm trying to bring my TA level down and keep my FC stable. Here are my numbers, any help would be appreciated:

12,000 Gal Bean Shape Pebble Tek
CYA 40
TA 220
CA/CH 270
FC 3.5 (as of this morning but drops daily)
CC 0.5
PH 7.2

I'm currently trying to keep my ph low to aid in lowering my TA by areating. I just started aerating a few days ago by turning my return jets up to release gas. Also, my FC level is only rising 2.0ppm with a gallon of bleach, if I'm not mistaken it should be rising twice that amount. Thanks again.
Mike

PebbleTec behaves the same as plaster from a chemistry point of view. There isn't as much exposed plaster, so the curing effects, rising PH, rising ALK, rising CH won't be as dramatic but they will still happen and you need to maintain your chemical balance the same as for plaster.

One gallon of 6% bleach in 12,000 gallons should raise your chlorine level by 5 ppm. One gallon of 5 1/4% would raise it by 4 3/8 ppm. Bleach is not commonly sold in gallon jugs. 3 quarts and 1.42 gallons are more common sizes. Bleach can "spoil", lose potency, if it gets hot and/or is stored for a long time. Also, some off brands are only 3% bleach, which would only raise the FC by 2 1/2 ppm.

Mike, as hot and sunny as it's been out here in AZ, it's not surprising that you are losing a lot of chlorine.

If your CC are still at .5, I would seriously suggest shocking to a higher level with chlorine. When it's really hot like this, I leave my pump running 24/7, which helps keep the water cooler and seems to help with my chlorine maintenance. I always seem to be able to maintain 0 CC's.

So, be sure to bring it up higher at night, after the sun sets and if it has dropped by the morning, add chlorine throughout the day to keep it up to shock level. Once it holds the shock level all night, you shoud be fine with small maintenance doses of chlorine to just keep a proper FC according to Ben's chart and your CYA level.

Okay, my response didn't post for some reason so let me try again :x :? :) .

Jason, Buggsw thanks for your quick response. The generic bleach I've been using is only 2.75 :( , I guess you get what you pay for :roll: . I just shocked the pool according to Ben's chart, actually slightly higer (18ppm). I'm in Sierra Vista so the temps aren't as bad as other places. I'm going to leave the cover off tonight and my return jets are pointing up so the pool will aerate and hopefully drop my TA. My current pool temp is 84 and I suspect it will drop to 80, hopefully not to much lower since the evening temp here is supposed to drop to 68.

I will check the FC and TA in the morning before I go to work and if need be have my wife put more chlorine in around lunch time. I'm hoping my CC will drop to zero if I'm able to keep my FC to at least 15ppm within the 24hr time period. Thanks again, I will keep you posted after I get off work tomorrow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.